The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my 10 gal. tank is nearly finished cycling, I've been thinking of fish to stock it with. I've decided on these so far:

6x Celestial Pearl Danio aka Galaxy Rasbora
5x Corydoras Hastatus

For algae control I'm between 2x Otocinclus catfish or 6x-10x Red cherry shrimp. First off, I'd like to know which are going to be better at algae control/plant matter clean-up.
I don't think Otos get very big but I'm still concerned they might increase the bioload too much. My concern with the shrimp is that they might breed like crazy and overrun the tank. If I could, I would do the 2x Otos and a smaller amount of RCS. Any opinions?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I just added a pair of Otos to the tank. I believe they are Otocinclus affinis. They're looking good, they haven't really explored the tank or done much other than hang out on the glass but I'm sure they're just acclimating to their new environment. I'd still like to add 3-4 Amano shrimp as well. Here's to hoping my new pair of Otos does well and enjoy their new home!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
So I just added a pair of Otos to the tank. I believe they are Otocinclus affinis. They're looking good, they haven't really explored the tank or done much other than hang out on the glass but I'm sure they're just acclimating to their new environment. I'd still like to add 3-4 Amano shrimp as well. Here's to hoping my new pair of Otos does well and enjoy their new home!
Otos are known for having transplant shock and other problems acclimating to a home aquarium. If they survive the adjustment period they are hardy.

I had never had any luck with otos I had gotten at the big chain stores but a couple of months ago I got some otos at an LFS and I have been back again several times to get more for a handful of tanks and I have had zero losses at all.

If you have trouble keeping them alive then try to find someone in your area who knows of a local fish store that has good quality and you should be ok.

Personally I wouldn't worry much about Otos or Amanos adding to the bioload of a tank unless it was a tiny tank.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Otos are known for having transplant shock and other problems acclimating to a home aquarium. If they survive the adjustment period they are hardy.

I had never had any luck with otos I had gotten at the big chain stores but a couple of months ago I got some otos at an LFS and I have been back again several times to get more for a handful of tanks and I have had zero losses at all.

If you have trouble keeping them alive then try to find someone in your area who knows of a local fish store that has good quality and you should be ok.

Personally I wouldn't worry much about Otos or Amanos adding to the bioload of a tank unless it was a tiny tank.
My pair came from a well-reputed LFS so I'm hoping for the best. If these guys aren't going to contribute much to bioload, I may add a third Oto...in addition to the shrimp! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I tried Ottos without much success with algae control or longevity. I'm on board with the Amanos. I have at least a dozen in the 58.

Tommy

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
otos work great for handling soft algae such as diatoms, they also eat biofilm.. they keep surfaces clean which can help prevent some algae.

rcs are great for algae if you have 100000000 of them
i have a combo of both just cause i like them :)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've got 30 Amano's between my 75g, 46g, and 29g. Not only have I not noticed the slightest dent in algae.... I can't ever find them unless I lift up the rocks and driftwood they spend their lives hiding under. Yes all three tanks have Angelfish, but that doesn't stop the Ghost shrimp and RCS from running around all day long. Their numbers have also increased and at any given time I can spot 10 or so hanging out at different places eating. I've only got 2 Oto's in my 75g as they other 3 died, but algae buildup on the glass is slower since adding them. I'm going to get another 10 or 15.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts