The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall,

I recently set up a 10 gallon planted tank, im unsure of what stocking, but I currently have fluval stratum and driftwood, no plants. I am cycling with API quickstart as well as seachem stability. It took around two weeks for my ammonia to come down near 0, however I have not seen an increase in nitrite. I have a lot of green film algae and fungus, so im wondering if they are responsible for the lack of nitrites? if so, how do I proceed with this cycle?

·
Administrator
17,847 Posts
Hey yall,

I recently set up a 10 gallon planted tank, im unsure of what stocking, but I currently have fluval stratum and driftwood, no plants. I am cycling with API quickstart as well as seachem stability. It took around two weeks for my ammonia to come down near 0, however I have not seen an increase in nitrite. I have a lot of green film algae and fungus, so im wondering if they are responsible for the lack of nitrites? if so, how do I proceed with this cycle?
Did you dose ammonia daily to keep it at a set concentration? If not, your tank may not be cycled to the point of being able to handle livestock.

I ask because adding critters when there's a big risk of ammonia and possible nitrite spikes can result in gill burn and death with more sensitive species.

I typically dose tanks to around 2-3PPM ammonia and keep it there until the tank can process that amount in less than 24 hours. Usually takes a week or two after the nitrite spike for that to occur, circumstances depending.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you dose ammonia daily to keep it at a set concentration? If not, your tank may not be cycled to the point of being able to handle livestock.

I ask because adding critters when there's a big risk of ammonia and possible nitrite spikes can result in gill burn and death with more sensitive species.

I typically dose tanks to around 2-3PPM ammonia and keep it there until the tank can process that amount in less than 24 hours. Usually takes a week or two after the nitrite spike for that to occur, circumstances depending.
i did not do that. I’ll dose another two ppm ammonia today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.