The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall,

I recently set up a 10 gallon planted tank, im unsure of what stocking, but I currently have fluval stratum and driftwood, no plants. I am cycling with API quickstart as well as seachem stability. It took around two weeks for my ammonia to come down near 0, however I have not seen an increase in nitrite. I have a lot of green film algae and fungus, so im wondering if they are responsible for the lack of nitrites? if so, how do I proceed with this cycle?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would say they are responsible and that it is safe to add some fish (slowly) just make sure that the nitrites stay way down with water changes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say they are responsible and that it is safe to add some fish (slowly) just make sure that the nitrites stay way down with water changes.
will do, im probably gonna add a few plants first as an extra measure for ammonia or nitrite spikes.

·
Super Moderator
15,782 Posts
Hey yall,

I recently set up a 10 gallon planted tank, im unsure of what stocking, but I currently have fluval stratum and driftwood, no plants. I am cycling with API quickstart as well as seachem stability. It took around two weeks for my ammonia to come down near 0, however I have not seen an increase in nitrite. I have a lot of green film algae and fungus, so im wondering if they are responsible for the lack of nitrites? if so, how do I proceed with this cycle?
Did you dose ammonia daily to keep it at a set concentration? If not, your tank may not be cycled to the point of being able to handle livestock.

I ask because adding critters when there's a big risk of ammonia and possible nitrite spikes can result in gill burn and death with more sensitive species.

I typically dose tanks to around 2-3PPM ammonia and keep it there until the tank can process that amount in less than 24 hours. Usually takes a week or two after the nitrite spike for that to occur, circumstances depending.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you dose ammonia daily to keep it at a set concentration? If not, your tank may not be cycled to the point of being able to handle livestock.

I ask because adding critters when there's a big risk of ammonia and possible nitrite spikes can result in gill burn and death with more sensitive species.

I typically dose tanks to around 2-3PPM ammonia and keep it there until the tank can process that amount in less than 24 hours. Usually takes a week or two after the nitrite spike for that to occur, circumstances depending.
i did not do that. I’ll dose another two ppm ammonia today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts