The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a Fluval Edge 6 gallon tank that is completely cycled with ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5-10

This tank is about 3 months old and I have been having an issue with it. About a month ago, I noticed that the water had a green tint to it. My first thought was an algae bloom, but the water clarity is very good. All of the pictures I've seen of an algae bloom seem to be cloudy tanks. My tank is not cloudy at all, not even a haze. No matter what I do, I cannot get the green to go away. I cannot even seem to make it worse. Last week I upgraded the poor stock lighting to a Finnex Planted+ 12" that sits on the glass. No change in the green for better or worse.

All of my plants are healthy and growing. I have a single betta that I don't feel like I overfeed. 3 tiny pellets in the morning and 3 pellets in the evening. I make sure that he eats all of his food and none falls to the substrate if I can help it. I have my lights on for 8 hours a day with a 4 hour siesta in the middle. I fertilize with Flourish Comprehensive (.5ml/wk) and Flourish Excel (.9ml/day.) I have been changing my water 25% weekly but have recently upped it to 50% weekly. I have also increased the flow from the filter to get better water flow.

I have attached pictures. It doesn't seem like much when the low lights are on and it is dark in the room, but when I blast it with the Finnex against the white wall of the room it is ugly.

So does this look like an algae bloom to you guys? If so, I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!! :smile2::smile2:

P.S. Sorry about the poor picture quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, yeah I figured it was a lot of light for a small tank and I will probably do what you suggested. Though I was having the problem just as bad with the crappy stock lights.

Bump: Also, what kind of tape could I use that won't melt the glue from the heat of the LEDs?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.