The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am still having some algae problems in my 46 gallon bowfront. i am following seachems dosing chart...20 pct water changes weekly a half-capful of both nitrogen and phosphorus 2x a week....plus the other nutrients...

my tank is medium-heavy planted, so i'm thinking that there are 2 possibilities:

- I need to up the dose of phos and nitrogen???
or
- my light fixture is 2-92 watt compact fourescent bulbs
i think that they are a little over a year old and need to be changed, but where they are old, i am running both of them for sufficient wattage for my plants, I've heard that old bulbs won't help if your trying to minimize algae.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
It is hard to get a tank stable with that much light. All nutrients need to be available at all times, all macros, micros and esp. CO2. One little mistake and it gets out of hand quickly. I don't think you can blame the light... you can grow plants at half the wattage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
about 7 hrs i think

I normally use one light (92 watts) but since the lights are older than a year old i though i'd double em to get enough light....

i've been very consistent with supplying the nutrients i'm using all of seachems liquid dosings and following the chart perfectly, i am also using diy co2, but even when i put new yeast in (i change my 2-2 liter bottles every 2 weeks), it's still a problem by the end of the week.

the worst pain in my side is trying to get microsword to thrive, it's hard to keep the algae off of it, i suspect that's probably why its not growing so good,

by the way, i think it's bg algae? it's the kind that comes off real easy, i know it's not hair algae of gs algae.

thanks for ur help!

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
If it is BGA, it is rather easy to kill. Search for cyanobacteria or erythromycin, it's discussed here regularly.

DIY CO2 on a high light 46gal tank... Hmmmm. I am not sure that will work out too well. What CO2 levels are you getting? I think there might be your problem. Plus Seachem ferts, I don't know what the correct dosage is, but they might recommend doses for low light tanks. Half a bottle cap per week of macros doesn't sound right though. I'd suggest to do dry dosing, incl K (potassium).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i can't find my test but the last time i checked, co2 was just right, only bad thing is, that performance is pretty incosistent using yeast method, right?

and you might be right about the seachem dosing, all i know is that someone in this forum made up a pretty cool excel chart where you type you gallons in a field and it pops up with the ml amounts needed for your tank.

here's my dosing regimen by the way, maybe you can tell something by it:
masure ments are in ml's
Sun: Excel 23
Iron 5
Flourish 4
Phosphorus 3
Nitrogen 3
Mon:Excel 23
Iron 5
Trace 12
Tue:Excel 23
Iron 5
Potassium 8
Wed:Excel 23
Iron 5
Nitrogen 3
Phosphorus 3
Trace 12
Thu:Excel 23
Iron 5
Potassium 8
Fri: Excel 23
Iron 5
Flourish 4
Sat: 50% water change, adjust ph kh gh (i don't adjust anything though) it's always been pretty good when i checked it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
i think that they are a little over a year old and need to be changed, but where they are old, i am running both of them for sufficient wattage for my plants, I've heard that old bulbs won't help if your trying to minimize algae.
I think You are confusing information. CF don't need to be changed every yr. After the first few months they will lose a little "Brightness", but they are good until they burn out. Just go back to the 1x 92w. If it was working before--it'll work again.

Were You having these algae problems before You upped Your lighting?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh, ok, i didn't know about the light, cuz one light alone looks pretty dim.....

still think a 3 day blackout would be a good idea, and should you still follow the fert. schedule during those 3 days?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.