The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Wow that is very expensive...my pet store occasionally gets them in for $6 a piece...same price as espeis if they have those.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am surprised you are making such a fuss over this fish being a few dollars more , yet some of you would spend more on a shrimp that doesn't live even half as long.:) {or even some 'rare' plant!}They are awesome and can't be appreciated unless you see them. I think I paid about $9. each for mine, but if I had room right now I would get some. I have never seen them available except from one other source, who I would never buy fish from again.:frown:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anyone get some pics? A local guy just bred some and I might get a school off him. I see how red they look on internet pics and am wondering are they always that red? Or just during mating? I wanted to get a school of them. But if they aren't as red as they seem to be then I may pass on them.
They are always quite red, but the males turn a deep red when they are displaying to each other, and turn almost crimson when they in a spawning mood. If you have a group of n. mortenthaleri, there will always be a couple of males showing the deep red colouration, but you have to condition them to get the crimson colour going. I have seven right now, and three of them are usually deep red.

The forum won't let me post a link as I haven't enough posts, but I've got a video of my coral reds in a spawning mood on youtube. Just do a search for coral red pencilfish and click on rodionx's video. That's me. The camera doesn't really do them justice, but you'll see the contrast between the spawning colour and the regular shade of red.

·
Registered
322 Posts
They are always quite red, but the males turn a deep red when they are displaying to each other, and turn almost crimson when they in a spawning mood. If you have a group of n. mortenthaleri, there will always be a couple of males showing the deep red colouration, but you have to condition them to get the crimson colour going. I have seven right now, and three of them are usually deep red.

The forum won't let me post a link as I haven't enough posts, but I've got a video of my coral reds in a spawning mood on youtube. Just do a search for coral red pencilfish and click on rodionx's video. That's me. The camera doesn't really do them justice, but you'll see the contrast between the spawning colour and the regular shade of red.
THANK YOU!!! you just sold me on those. I had never seen them in person. So all I had to go by was pictures. Even the normal red is red enough for me lol. Those males seemed to put off a red aura, almost to red lol. Very cool. I like how they have there fins fanned out to.:thumbsup:

I also just noticed you have a few other species of pencils in there. Very cool tank. I to have 10 brown pencil fish and have to say, they are my favorite upper water column fish now(sorry hatchets). Very neat fish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. I'm glad you liked 'em. They get so red they seem almost ghostlike when they move through the plants.

I'm a fan of pencilfish in general. I used to have seven brown pencilfish (n. eques) several years ago, but now I'm down to two. If I had room I'd build up a school again. I like the way they swim at an angle and graze on everything, including the surface film. They have a tendency to end up on the floor, though. :(

I've also got a shoal of three-lined pencilfish (n. trifasciatus.) Quite an attractive gold and black pattern on them, but they beat up on my coral reds. Very territorial. Sometimes it looks like my reds are just about to spawn when one of those three-lined thugs charges out of the greenery and breaks it up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks. I'm glad you liked 'em. They get so red they seem almost ghostlike when they move through the plants.

I'm a fan of pencilfish in general. I used to have seven brown pencilfish (n. eques) several years ago, but now I'm down to two. If I had room I'd build up a school again. I like the way they swim at an angle and graze on everything, including the surface film. They have a tendency to end up on the floor, though. :(

I've also got a shoal of three-lined pencilfish (n. trifasciatus.) Quite an attractive gold and black pattern on them, but they beat up on my coral reds. Very territorial. Sometimes it looks like my reds are just about to spawn when one of those three-lined thugs charges out of the greenery and breaks it up.

Luckily none of my browns have jumped out. One did once when I scared him when I bumped the tank, he jumped right onto my dads sock lol. There swimming angle is awesome. So neat to watch. I think since I grow my plants till there out of the water, it helps keep them from jumping. There isn't much open surface area. I to had a trifasciatus and some beckfordi also. The trifasciatus thought he was a brown and would swim with them, they look somewhat similiar. I guess he was confused lol. My beckfordi got aggressive towards each other. Eventually I had one king of the tank out of 6. He killed all the others off. This was in a 10 gallon though. Pencils are one of my favorite "small" fish.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.