The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks. My Albino corys decided to plaster the sides of the tank with eggs. This just happened within the past 24 hours.

The last time this happened I scraped them off of the glass and into an aerated bucket. Unfortunately, the eggs clumped together and ended up a total loss.

The first time this happened, I think I waited a couple of days and then scraped the eggs off. They hatched but I ended up losing them within 2 weeks.

This time I happen to have a fry container with a small filter and air hose attachment. So it might turn out better.

Anyone out there with experience and success at hatching and raising them?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have raised corys. Many people have different ways to raise them but I like the simple approach.

After removal from the parent tank, I usually put the eggs inside a fry net with some plants (like some hygro ) and java moss or a marimo ball in a planted 20 gallon grow out tank with an AC. The water current from the AC keeps the water in the net circulating and the fry will not have too far to travel to the surface to fill their swim bladders. They will hatch in around 4 days. I leave them for 2 days to absorb their yolk sacs and if they start moving around picking critters off or out of the java moss, marimo ball then it is time to start feeding them. Good quality finely crushed flake food is fine, bbs is okay too-I don't use it, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, etc. Cory fry are good scavengers and like to pick around the tank in all the nooks and crannies so bare bottom tanks bore them I think.
If the tank and filters are mature and scaped with fine gravel, plants and some hidey holes, you can release the fry after 10-14 days into a grow out tank with other fry. I have a prefilter over the intake for the AC to prevent fry getting sucked in.

I have raised several different aged spawns of corys and other types of fish in a grow out together and not had casualties using this method.

http://www.kwas.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=129

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll take them off of the glass today. I hope they don't clump up like the second spawn I removed.

I wonder if I could put the fry in the RCS tank. Lot's of stuff to graze off in there. Doubt the shrimp will do them any harm. I'll keep the eggs in my fry box for the time being.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If it isn't too unsightly for you, just put your fry box in the parent tank until they are big enough to release, at the 14 day point, they won't get preyed on if they can hide with the adults on the bottom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts