The Planted Tank Forum banner

Airstone Necessary?

1143 10
Hey all,

My tank is looking good. Per some suggestions, im going to be investing in some new bulbs, DIY CO2 and eventually a canister filter. I was wondering though, Do I need an air-stone? I have a pump and airstone, I just don't like it. The pump is kind of loud and all the bubbles are too much. Is it a necessity or just astetics on a 55g? I thought the bubbles would cause more co2 loss? Thanks for the help!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Well when it comes to plants dont. I only started on plants last December lol, i'm more a fish guy, learning the ways of planted tanks. Air stones though are a poor choice for aeration of a tank however, at least for fish. So i'd agree its more aesthetic then useful. For just plants i'd be more into having a good current flow. Maybe i'm wrong, but thats my understanding anytime i see similar questions asked :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
In my experience, I used to only run an air stone at night, then decided to run it 24/7, and I believe my plants, and most of all, my fish are much more happier because of it. Also the extreme pearling of the plants is a great view, I also believe it helped with alot of algae issues i was having. I also have small micro o2 bubbles rising from the substrate.

I keep the air stone in the corner behind a bunch of plants and don't even notice it anymore. My suggestion, run one. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have been using two air-stones in my 125G, in addition to two propeller style circulators. With a heavily planted tank, I find the circulators' current is broken up but the air bubbles always make it to the surface. I think it is just two different surface agitation methods that compliment each other. I like them both, so I use them both.
Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
838 Posts
I used to run an air stone, but stopped because the CO2 swings were causing BBA like crazy. It was also wasting a lot of the gas, meaning more frequent refills.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.