The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

On my non-co2 injected tank, I notice that at lights on I have a CO2 concentration of about 5ppm or so; however as soon as the lights kick on this number drops 0.

I know the air has a fairly high concentration of CO2, has anybody tried adding an air stone to a non-co2 tank? Did it improve growth? Could you measure any CO2 from it? Did this help over just an HOB filter and no other airation?

Thanks for the help!
Whiskey

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm not sure if the airstone helps but I do know in planted tanks with the lights off the plants give out c02

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is very interesting, thank you for the link. It amazes me that water which has come into ecolibream with the air will only have 0.7 ppm CO2, given the amount of CO2 in air I would have guessed that number would be far higher. Perhaps this is a very good argument for doing some small CO2 system, or dosing excel even on a low tech tank.

Thanks for the help!
Whiskey

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
That is very interesting, thank you for the link. It amazes me that water which has come into ecolibream with the air will only have 0.7 ppm CO2, given the amount of CO2 in air I would have guessed that number would be far higher. Perhaps this is a very good argument for doing some small CO2 system, or dosing excel even on a low tech tank.

Thanks for the help!
Whiskey
Remember that air also has like 20,000 ppm of oxygen.. yet water with no surface agitation sits around 2-4 ppm depending on total volume

its all about partial pressures of each gas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts