The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it counterproductive to have both my air stones and my pressurized co2 system on at the same time?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Why would you need air stones in the first place? Just have the spraybar make the least water surface agitation and that will be enough for any creature in your tank.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
My air stone is on 24/7, air stone a big saver when u go 99 n out.of the blue ur filter.crush.
I keep discus at 84-85f so having a airstone is a.must ^^

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
An airstone doesn't add oxygen to the tank - the bubbles it produces are simply too large, and travel to the surface too quickly, to allow O2 to be absorbed by the water. Its purpose is to agitate the water's surface, which will replenish O2 consumed by fauna at a faster rate than if the surface was perfectly flat. CO2 will exit the water column more quickly as well.

This effect can be produced by anything that agitates the water surface - spraybar, HOB, powerhead.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes, but I am going to be using an airstone on a timer for when co2 is not on. Just to be safe and all with the oxygen levels for my fish.
I'm confused, maybe you can clarify this for me. You are putting CO2 in the daytime and the airstone in the night time?

So, 8 to 10 hours your fish are gasping for air and the rest of the time are ok. You do realize that lack of enough Oxygen will kill the fish in a matter of minutes right?

The water surface agitation provides all the Oxygen needed when you are not putting CO2 in the tank.

Last but not least, fish adapt to higher levels of CO2 over time. Now I'm putting the same amount of CO2 in my tanks that previously killed fish.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm confused, maybe you can clarify this for me. You are putting CO2 in the daytime and the airstone in the night time?

So, 8 to 10 hours your fish are gasping for air and the rest of the time are ok. You do realize that lack of enough Oxygen will kill the fish in a matter of minutes right?

The water surface agitation provides all the Oxygen needed when you are not putting CO2 in the tank.

Last but not least, fish adapt to higher levels of CO2 over time. Now I'm putting the same amount of CO2 in my tanks that previously killed fish.
Using an air stone at night on a timer is a common practice used by amano, it's used when one does not want to raise the lili pipe, your co2 levels should be at a level where you do not have your fish gasping for air.

The use of additional agitation at night it's not usually for the fish, it's for the bacteria, if your fish are not gasping during the day when there is co2 being injected they should not gasp during the night when it's not. I am assuming there is some type of agitation both during the day and at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
Using an air stone at night on a timer is a common practice used by amano, it's used when one does not want to raise the lili pipe, your co2 levels should be at a level where you do not have your fish gasping for air.

The use of additional agitation at night it's not usually for the fish, it's for the bacteria, if your fish are not gasping during the day when there is co2 being injected they should not gasp during the night when it's not. I am assuming there is some type of agitation both during the day and at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm doing that in my tank as well and for the same reason, bacteria.

I was asking to find out why OP did it. Also I gave him a hint about the fish dying way before he starts aerating if CO2 is too much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts