The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i notice most people with planted tanks dont bother with air pumps and bubble stones/walls etc. is there a reason? is there really any benefit to having them to begin with?

·
Registered
37 Posts
In a fish only tank they create surface agitation and therefore promote gas exchange and oxygenation. The down side is that this will release C02 very efficiently... great for fish, bad for plants.

In a planted tank, unless you're injecting CO2 your plants will absorb any CO2 present and want more. You also have plenty of O2 released. All that a bubble wall will do in a planted tank (besides looking nice) is to release CO2 before the plants can get to it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in my nano i have no bubbles and little surface agitation. in my 10 gal i have a bubble wall and lots of agitation. i have a few low tech plant in there and plan to add more plants and less fake ones. no c02, ferts, or anything for that matter. should i cut the air?

·
Registered
705 Posts
yes every bit helps. co2 is easy to set up pop bottle, tubing, a diffusior, water, sugar, and yeast. Its really quite easy and will help your plants greatly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts