The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the hob filter off my 20 gallon because it was just too strong for my Betta fish and ADF's. I am using two sponge filters now with a old air pump. Any recommendations for a new one that is sufficient? I was thinking about a tetra whisper 40. Thanks

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Something often missed when looking at new pumps is really simple to fix. Get one large enough is the easy part. Just turn out the money? But then what do we do if it is too large? Not considered in lots of cases and then their new shiny pump may not last long and they feel cheated.
Tear down a diaphram type pump and you can see the problem. There is a rubber cup that flexs with the 60 cycle current. This is what pumps the air. So if you get a really big pump and tie it to a single oulet maybe, there can be far more air produced than used. This causes lot of stress on the rubber diaphram and it may make it tear way before it should.
Simple solution? Add a valve at the end of the run of tubing so that you can let the excess air bleed off. Adjust the valve so that the airstone has plenty but let the rest blow off and your pump will last much longer!
I have used the Tetra and liked it but it can be too much depending on what it supplies.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Or, I have a tetra 60 that I knew would be more than I needed. With air pumps I think always go bigger, like with lights, u can always cut output but harder to increase. Anyway then I connected to tetra 60 to a dimmer switch. Works great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
+1 for Planted...
I also use a two outlet gang valve on the side of my tank to route the line to.
But then I open both outlets.The one which has the line going into the tank of
course is open completely. But I then crack open the other valve just enough
to slow the airstone down as it would remind me of a pond fountain were it not
diverted a bit. I use one #10 in one of my 10g tanks and one #20 in the other
10g tank. But check something just for whatever. I noticed that the same
repair kit(which contains the rubber diaphram) has the same number for a couple of model number pumps. And of course don't remember which ones were involved.
But isn't it common sense that same diaphram, same air flow ?
I'm not an engineer nor have I taken one apart to see. But I'd think twice on buying
the higher number pump if it had the same repair kit as the next model number pump down from it. I could easilly be wrong but I'd think the lower number pump would
pump just as much air, given they had identical repair kits.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I guess I will see if there is a repair kit for my current pump. It is a fluval dual port. It's restricted for some reason on one side and flowing fine through the other

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Or, I have a tetra 60 that I knew would be more than I needed. With air pumps I think always go bigger, like with lights, u can always cut output but harder to increase. Anyway then I connected to tetra 60 to a dimmer switch. Works great.

Interesting idea to add a dimmer switch but I would have some questions. How does a dimmer switch effect the output of the airpump? Most dimmer switches I think of work to cut the current going to items rather than cutting the frequency of the 60 cycle current.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Interesting idea to add a dimmer switch but I would have some questions. How does a dimmer switch effect the output of the airpump? Most dimmer switches I think of work to cut the current going to items rather than cutting the frequency of the 60 cycle current.
Not a clue. I started doing it because I remember having a Whisper 100 that had one built in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts