The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rescaped my 120 gallon. Now I don't know if I just never noticed before the rescape but my fish are breathing really fast in the morning before the lights come on. I'm thinking there isn't enough oxygen. I threw a small air pump in there because I was scared they might die.
I don't use CO2 but I do use excel once or twice a week. Will this air pump be bad for my plants? I was thinking about having it on a timer so that it only comes on at night after the lights turn off. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
If you see your fish gasping for air then definitely run an airpump to supplement the O2 supply. I doubt your excel is causing the problem since the tank is so large, but how much are you dosing when you do use it? The air pump will not be bad for your plants it's usually not needed b/c your plants produce oxygen as a waste product.

·
Registered
334 Posts
use it at night and dont worry about it. I ran one for a year day and night in my tank before i used excel and I still had plant growth, now that I use excel I only run it at night, and the plants have no issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.