The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum so first off, how's everyone doing? Anyways I am going to setup x6 10g rcs shrimp tanks for breeding and I'm gonna run cheap dual sponge filters. So I need an air pump that can support 6 sponge filters. So either I need a pump with two outputs to attach a 3 way gang valve on each one. Or two smaller pumps with single outputs attached to 3 way gang valves each.

TL;DR
If anyone has an air pump that can hook up to 6 sponge filters for 6 separate 10 gallons under $50 I'd appreciate it!
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would go for 3 cheap pumps, for redundancy. equipment fails, always better to have backup.
I recently purchased an air pump from wallmart for my shrimp tank for $ 7. it can easily run 2 sponge filters.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I have never seen an air pump develop a SUDDEN failure...

I'd also get the biggest one you can with 2 outlets. Then you can put a 3-way on each side.

I use Dohpin 8500 pump, pushing 210L (55 gal) of air per hour, while using less than 4W.

Remember to put a glass cover over your tanks or the popping bubbles will make your water evaporate very fast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Idk what to do, everyone's got a different suggestion. Haha. I'm thinking a whisper 60 with two 3 way gang valves, I've never had an air pump go out on me in 10+ years. Any last thoughts before I get the whisper 60?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, if the pump is rated to high won't it be bad for only 6 sponges?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Petsmart has a model with 4 outlets. I was at one point running 5 sponge filters and a marina box with it. The filters were being seeded because the marina box had fry.

It's not v. expensive considering, which might be a good thing since *they* don't make repair parts for it (doesn't mean you can't cannibalize cheap air pumps for diaphragms if necessary).

I did have an old whisper die on me but considering how long I'd had it... Planned obsolescence as applied to air pumps seems to be under the category of not being able to find diaphragms. That's really the only thing that will go on it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Just as a FYI , I've got the smallest one in the site that Mango linked to . Got it running 12 10gallon tanks with box filters plus a brine shrimp jar with an airstone . Been set up for maybe 18 months or thereabouts . So far , so good . You'd have to rig up a manifold for the air valves, though .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.