The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an entirely external system for my ADA 60-P with a canister filter as well as inline heating and CO2 diffusion. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience connecting an air pump to the same diffuser as their CO2 (I would prefer is all goes in line instead of in the tank). I would connect them through a Y shaped check valve leading into a Jardli in line diffuser. I understand it is one way for fluid but I was unsure if it would be the same for gas and if the high pressure CO2 cannister would push the air out of the other line and leak out. If anyone has any experience or thought please let me know!

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
first thought is that you'll end up with far too much gas for one diffuser to effectively diffuse into small enough bubbles.

no experience. just first thought with either device when you crank it up. On sponge filters they can loose effectiveness if you have too much air. well, smoothness, but I would imagine there is a point where the sponge filters just don't have the room to allow more water to flow with the larger amounts of air being pumped in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
first thought is that you'll end up with far too much gas for one diffuser to effectively diffuse into small enough bubbles.

no experience. just first thought with either device when you crank it up. On sponge filters they can loose effectiveness if you have too much air. well, smoothness, but I would imagine there is a point where the sponge filters just don't have the room to allow more water to flow with the larger amounts of air being pumped in.
Hi! I'm actually using a ceramic diffuser rather than a sponge filter, do you think this makes a difference?

·
Registered
223 Posts
The air pump does not create enough pressure to force gas through a ceramic diffuser. So you will not be able to do use the diffuser for CO2 as well as Air. The CO2 will not go to your tank, instead it will force its way out through the air pump. the non return valve we use is meant to keep the water out, not gas. so it may not do its job correctly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The air pump does not create enough pressure to force gas through a ceramic diffuser. So you will not be able to do use the diffuser for CO2 as well as Air. The CO2 will not go to your tank, instead it will force its way out through the air pump. the non return valve we use is meant to keep the water out, not gas. so it may not do its job correctly.
Thank you! This is what I was thinking. I appreciate your time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.