The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im building a diy co2 reactor to be used with a fluval fx5. My only concern is that the filter shuts off daily an air bubbles gets expelled through the output where the inline reactor is going to be mounted.
How do you address that? Or the air will go away when the filter starts again?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Im building a diy co2 reactor to be used with a fluval fx5. My only concern is that the filter shuts off daily an air bubbles gets expelled through the output where the inline reactor is going to be mounted.
I used one for almost a year and it was fine never had to touch it. There would be some air that would build up but by morning it was gone.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I used a bleed valve at the top of my reactor, but I only used it when priming the filter. The big bubble left in the reactor overnight should primarily be CO2, since other gases aren't nearly as readily dissolved into water as CO2 is.

·
Registered
336 Posts
...My only concern is that the filter shuts off daily an air bubbles gets expelled through the output where the inline reactor is going to be mounted.

I'm curious as to why you turn the filter off?
Also, if you have not put the reactor inline yet, where is the "air" coming from?

(Just curious..)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, the aquamedic reactor ( i think is AM 1000) has a bleeding valve on top of it. Will see if I can add one to the reactor. It is around 24 inches long and connects to a UV light ( gamma ) before going to the 75g tank.
I think that it will decrease a lot of flow so a power head might be an addition in the other corner of the tank.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it has to shutdown because the pump is in the lower part of filter while the outlet is on the top part. That doesn't happens on eheim's filter because the pump is on top. I have both...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think it has to shutdown because the pump is in the lower part of filter while the outlet is on the top part. That doesn't happens on eheim's filter because the pump is on top. I have both...
Which still doesn't make sense. :icon_ques

If the outlet is at the top, any air entering the canister (for what ever reason) would go to the top and be forced out with the flow. This is what happens with my pool filter.

I can fully understand air (or c02) being at the top of a reactor because it is "counter flow".

But I can not, in my mind, see why a canister would shut off to expel trapped air. (This must be the system "Analyst" :icon_eek: in me).

·
Registered
303 Posts
It does shut down the pump for 1 min to release the air but you dont :proud:

Which still doesn't make sense. :icon_ques

If the outlet is at the top, any air entering the canister (for what ever reason) would go to the top and be forced out with the flow. This is what happens with my pool filter.

I can fully understand air (or c02) being at the top of a reactor because it is "counter flow".

But I can not, in my mind, see why a canister would shut off to expel trapped air. (This must be the system "Analyst" :icon_eek: in me).
Look up the design of it has a little tube at the top that does all the work really.

Smart-Pump Chip - A computer chip monitors the pump, taking measurements to ensure efficiency. Every 24 hours the pump automatically stops to release air trapped in the system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts