The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AI Prime saltwater version light I would like to try and use for my new planted freshwater tank I am setting up. It is a 20 gallon. Does anyone know if this is possible or am I better off selling it and purchasing a plant specific LED? I can control the spectrum to 7000k.

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
I have an AI Prime saltwater version light I would like to try and use for my new planted freshwater tank I am setting up. It is a 20 gallon. Does anyone know if this is possible or am I better off selling it and purchasing a plant specific LED? I can control the spectrum to 7000k.
Depends...
It's more about look and decreased PAR by under-utilizing the diodes.
The full on reef color is fine for plants not so fine for looks.

The AI Prime® 16HD utilizes the latest LED technology from leading manufacturers, arranged to provide the best performance.

• 4 – Cool White
  • 4 – Blue
  • 4 – Royal Blue
  • 1 – Photo Red
  • 1 – Green
  • 1 – Violet
  • 1 – UV
  • 1 – Moonlight

@ like 50% should be fine for a 20..

·
Registered
340 Posts
The problem is not enough red diodes. I asked the same question when I switched from a reef tank. I had a Kessil pendant; the mfg recommended their planted version.

You could buy a two bulb t5ho fixture and two bulbs with the right spectrum for under $100 and be set.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess it's time to sell it... I'm new to the whole planted freshwater tank and don't want to have any disadvantages. What do you think the best LED light for a 24" tank is for around $150-180?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.