The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AI Prime saltwater version light I would like to try and use for my new planted freshwater tank I am setting up. It is a 20 gallon. Does anyone know if this is possible or am I better off selling it and purchasing a plant specific LED? I can control the spectrum to 7000k.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
I have an AI Prime saltwater version light I would like to try and use for my new planted freshwater tank I am setting up. It is a 20 gallon. Does anyone know if this is possible or am I better off selling it and purchasing a plant specific LED? I can control the spectrum to 7000k.
Depends...
It's more about look and decreased PAR by under-utilizing the diodes.
The full on reef color is fine for plants not so fine for looks.

The AI Prime® 16HD utilizes the latest LED technology from leading manufacturers, arranged to provide the best performance.

• 4 – Cool White
  • 4 – Blue
  • 4 – Royal Blue
  • 1 – Photo Red
  • 1 – Green
  • 1 – Violet
  • 1 – UV
  • 1 – Moonlight

@ like 50% should be fine for a 20..

·
Registered
334 Posts
The problem is not enough red diodes. I asked the same question when I switched from a reef tank. I had a Kessil pendant; the mfg recommended their planted version.

You could buy a two bulb t5ho fixture and two bulbs with the right spectrum for under $100 and be set.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess it's time to sell it... I'm new to the whole planted freshwater tank and don't want to have any disadvantages. What do you think the best LED light for a 24" tank is for around $150-180?

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Guess it's time to sell it... I'm new to the whole planted freshwater tank and don't want to have any disadvantages. What do you think the best LED light for a 24" tank is for around $150-180?
Well not going to argue w/ your decision but 1) Kessils are not Primes. Old kessils had zero dedicated reds. Saltwater could never look 7000k- ish.(guess)
2) Your disadvantage is more in looks at high output over anything plant related.
3) One square light over a rectangular tank isn't ideal.

"Best light" depends on your wants/needs
Anything from a 2 tube t5ho to simple LED strip lights will work.

Most all around functional one.. arguable but ...
https://www.amazon.com/Plant-Spectr...t=&hvlocphy=1028224&hvtargid=pla-566110293336

1 - 5 of 5 Posts