The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I traveled to the nearest quality lfs in the region to purchase some platies to stock my tank. I was pleased to find incredibly healthy and beautiful platies, including blue parrots. Unfortunately, after arriving home, I started to see tiny ich-like dots on my blue parrots fins. Strangely though, he seems incredibly healthy, and no other fish seems to be infected. If it were ich, I think he would already be in very bad shape, considering the frequency of the dots. Could this just possibly ( and hopefully ) just be a pattern on his fins and not ich? Thanks to everyone in advance for their help

·
Registered
989 Posts
It sounds like Ich. I have had fish with Ich that seem quite happy the first day. however by the second day they are also doing great cause quick cure was added. the third today they are even better cause the ich is gone! the moral is, it you think it is Ich treat for Ich. If it is Ich you don't have to worry whether it is Ich or not and decide while your fish is dieing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i agree with you on that...I immediately started using quick cure, although only half the recommended dosage (1 drop for every two gallons) and i upped the temperature to between 82 - 84...hopefully everything turns out alright. One last question: Should i be doing water changes if this is ich? Or will that just null the effect of the meds? thanks again to everyone

·
Registered
888 Posts
You can do water changes but of course, water changes will still remove most of the medication.:) How many gallons do you exactly remove during water change? Dose the medication according to instruction. If you remove about 4 gallons, try to do 2 drops but this is only half-dosage as you say. What are your other fish? Scaleless fish are the ones that should be treated with half-dosage mostly because they become sensitive to medications.
Pls treat your fish for 2 weeks minimum to eliminate all parasites.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Have five platies and a male betta...the fish seem to actually be doing great, so I raised the temperature only slightly to around 82, and I'm continuing with the medication. Thanks for all the help everyone:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.