The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This stuff is everywhere....i dont know what it is and i dont know what to do...algae is the reason i left the hobby last time, but aint gonna this time, help me please

55 Gallon, 4x 28w t5no 6700/colormax, pressurized co2, flourite/florabase substrate, Eheim 2215, 2026 w/ tetratec 5w uv sterilizer (on with lights), photoperiod is 8 hours a day, ph 6.4 dont have kh/gh test kit, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10 thanks for any feedback

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Its hard to see in the picture what it is because its fuzzy but if its staghorn look at my thread a couple down from yours. I used the excel treatment and it got rid of all of it and gave me my aquarium back. Since the treatment I started using the recommended on the excel bottle which is 5ml a day for a 55g aquarium and lowered my light. Non of it has come back. I was worried I was going to have to throw out all my plants but excel saved them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, sure looks like staghorn, ill give excel a try, great thread btw...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Up your carbon and go dark for a few days.
Short term over dose with Excel.
Long term pressurized CO2 or a few thousand snails.

I had a much worse problem in my 70. I way over dosed with Excel over a three week period. Riccia grew like crazy insteaded of melting and the leaves on my Vals all cracked. I culled those. The algae was All gone at the end of the third week and a month later the plants are all doing well. Too well actually. I'm scooping duck weed every couple of days and Riccia is several inches thick over half the tank.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My staghorn is still gone. I have been dosing the 5 mL of excel a day because on one of the threads I read I heard that the chemical in it acts as a sporicide. On my 55g I dosed 15 to 20 mL a day and in about 9 days all the staghorn was red or white and soon disappeared. Now my plants are going crazy without algae all over them!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive started dosing with excel, waiting to see results.......i dont fertilize yet, need to buy some, thats probably my problem....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think imma take it easy with the excel because i have really sensitive fish, 6 discus, 13 cardinals, 3 corys, 3 ottos, ALL sensitive fish....i think excel is really flirting with disaster. Ive been dosing only normally with no effects i see....yet. Is there any other thing i can try along with the excel that i can try?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Excel and UV

When dosing Excel you need to shut off your UV unit to see any effect. UV light breaks down the chemicals used in Excel. There are several strings regarding this on the site. Stated issues with Fe I have not experienced but doing Excel treatments for algae I have. While running my Aqua UV 8w unit in seven days no effect. Turned off and dosing again BBA and staghorn started turning colors in three days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.