The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to budge and pick up the 2x36 watt for the 10 gallon. My question is what two 36 watt bulbs should I buy??? Thanks everyone

·
Registered
689 Posts
Any bulb really it just depends on your color choice.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'd stay away from the 50/50 and actinic bulbs.

A combo of 6700k and 10,000k bulbs would look nice. Gives a "balanced" look to the colors.

Any reason why you are doing 2x36w?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason that I am doing the 2x36 watt is because it is what Rex recommended. Does anyone think I could just use one 36 watt bulb instead of two???

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Rex Grigg recommended 2x36w? Really?

Even with 1x36w over a 10 gallon AGA, you'd be in the high-light range. With that kind of lighting, you're going to have to consider DIY CO2.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Pressurized CO2? Good. :)

Get 1x36w. If you *really* want a nice carpet, you can go for 2x36w, but be prepared to trim at LEAST once a week. I went with 2x36w over my 10 gallon tank...keep in mind it has flat reflectors unlike the AHSupply ones, and I trimmed maybe 5 or 6 times a month. I finally put eggcrate over it to cut down on the light.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot Epic for your advice. I think I will just go with the 1x36w. Plants are growing well with the home depot special but it is 24 inches and just sits on top of the tank.(looks like crap)... Thanks again.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Haha...

The tank that I have them on has green plants in it and no red plants. From the light green color of Wisteria to the darker green of Bolbitus, the green plants look really great. It's not a big difference but I like it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I just ordered it and I am very happy that I will have it soon. Ive been wanting this thing for quite some time now and haven't had the bank flow to buy it. i know its not that expensive but im in college now. :help:

This is what I got

1 36559 Tips on building a DIY enclosure for your 36-96w Bright Kit FREE
1 30361 1 x 36w Bright Kit $41.99

1 11366 36 Watt 6700K Compact $15.99

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That's why I questioned the 2x36w. I've heard of people doing more than that but they also have some rather hard to grow stuff, auto-dosers, etc.

I have a 36w AH Supply kit and it grows nearly everything wonderfully in my 10g. Even with crappy fertilization.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whoops sorry Rex all that you said to me was to get a 36 watt from AH supply not the 2x36 watt... I cant wait to get this thing it should be able to grow everything that i want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts