The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my latest aquascape- running for approximately 3 weeks:

I finished a major hack back on Sunday, so I apologize for the state of the plants.

Volume: 50x30x25cm: 10g
Lighting: 2x27w S-I Spiral Compact
Photoperiod: 1200-2200
CO2: DIY with AquaMedic Diffuser
Filter: DIY Canister
Substrate: Silica sand
Dosing: EI at 1/8 tsp KNO3, 1/32tsp KH2PO4, 1/32tsp K2SO4 Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. Traces on Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Flora: Glossostigma, Potamogeton gayi, Versicularia dubyana, Mayaca fluviatillis, Rotalia rotundafoila, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Eleocharis acicularis, and Didiplis diandra
Fauna: 2 Otocinclus affinis, 3 Caridina japonica. I have yet to decide upon a fish species: any ideas?

This is my high-tech, low cost aquarium (a seeming acronym.) The aquarium and hood were purchased at a garage sale for $5, and the whole setup cost me maybe $40. The Glossostigma elatinoides has finally started to spread, so with any luck, I'll have a carpet in a week or two. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
looks nice! esp. rockwork. and p. gayi is the raddest plant ever!

glosso and moss doesn't look so hot...but you say it is starting to grow flat, which is good. trim off the browning peacock(?) moss and it'll pop back better than before.

I'd suggest a bright colored or silver fish for contrast with green/grey/black scape. Killies! or cherry barbs or some rasboras? one lone betta hovering over the scape?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Your tank is lovely! I especially like the Didiplis - always a classic and far too underused lately, IMO.

As for fish... do you think scissortail rasboras would be too big? A school of 6-8 would look very nice in there!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I like yur tank. glosso will spread and stay low under that light but you might want to plant glosso more spread out one by one:confused: a glosso carpet will look great. for fish i say go with white cloud, galaxy rasbora, or gold tetra b/c they stay small and dont distract from yur nice scape.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, well, it's time for my weekly update. At the moment, the Glossostigma is spreading noticeably every day, so I will undoubtedly have a nice, lush carpet after about a week or so. As I look at the aquarium, all of the plants are pearling, and the Didiplis diandra has gained some of its red back. Still no fish, but only for one reason:

I'm writing in between my last final for today. In 30 minutes or so, it's off to Herpetology for my professor to have his last chance to inflict just a little more torture before we're off for summer. :help: As it stands, I'll have to transport my 4 nanos plus my girlfriend's 2 tomorrow afternoon, on a two hour drive back home (aren't the dorms fun? :icon_roll ) Basically, I'm going to remove all of the shrimp (yeah, that part's going to be fun...) along with the ottos and place them in a 5g bucket for the trip. Then I'm going to drain the aquarium to the bottom, cover everything with wet newspaper and my glass top, and pray that the rocks don't get unsettled on the way home. The rest of my tanks are small enough that I can just drain them down and transport them with fish, but the 10g will be fun... :icon_conf

So anyway, I just decided that I'd rather not stress out more fish than necessary... I'll post a picture after I get back, so we'll see how it goes.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Haha, Agrippa, I'm in the same boat. Except I have a 29 gallon to transport too, along with my nano, my 10g, my 5 gallon, and a million and one bettas. The trip home is NOT going to be fun.

If we drive fast, the trip home will be an hour in good traffic, but with a everyone else going home, a heavy truck and aquarium luggage, I have a feeling the trip will be closer to two hours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.