The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been agonizing all week over my own personal LCD computer monitor purchase (I buy dozens each year for my company) and I narrowed it down to these two choices;

22"1680x1050: Acer AL2216Wbd at officedepot.com (deal ends 05/19)
+$270 free ship -$70 mail in rebate +local sales tax *

24"1920x1200: DoubleSight DS-240WB at provantage.com (deal ends 06/19)
+$515 +$15 ship -$40 mail in rebate +no tax **

I ultimately want a 24" on my desk, but a lot of important I/O technology such as HDMI ports, HDCP-DVI support, 1080p-HDTV and faster GTG response times are not yet available. So I ended up conserving my funds by getting the $200 LCD now, and figuring in two years the 24" offerings will mature enough for my tastes. In 2009, over the air TV will go fully Digital, thus pushing I/O demands on LCD units even further.

If you can afford to wait a bit for a fully I/O featured 24", keep your eyes open for this $650 baby;
http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_x24wg_Naga.htm -which might be available July'07

I also watch this industry and can tell you that 22" prices are bottoming out at this >$200 level and should actually firm up closer to $300 through year end as fuller featured models replace the current bare bones units. 24" prices are also firming >$500 with the occasional bare feature models dipping down to $400 by year end.

I post this so anyone else on the verge of buying might benefit. I'm not here to argue brands, pricing trends, or technology trends, just simply sharing what I'm doing now.

* if you are lazy, buy.com has it for +$250 free ship -$15 new customer promo +no tax
serious game players should check for full screen 1680x1050 support, or make sure you can play your game windowized.

** includes a handy 90° screen pivot feature & software for full Portrait mode display
that latest Samsung S-PVA LCD panel can be seen from the widest viewing angle ever.
1920x1200 is actually an old video standard, widely supported by all new hardware platforms and high resolution software.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can't wait to have the funding to upgrade my monitors.

right now i"m running a Dell 19" CRT that has a very nice picture and a Dell 15" LCD that could use some work. Both monitors are several years old though. I'd like to run a DVI output to the 15" to see the difference it makes.

I'm probably going to go with dual 19" LCD's when I get the cash. I love my dual monitor set up and just can't go back to one. Hell, maybe 22" screens will be reasonable when I get ready to do it all...stupid college budgets.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Well Deffinatly don't get this style from dell.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&sku=222-1003&redirect=1

Amazing screen that I've had more trouble than any other screen I've ever had. I think Mine's the 23 inch one but not sure. It's big though.

Conns? Very touchy first one had to be sent back and replaced since it just 'broke' at random pretty much.

Broke again at random easter night, when I came back home from disney it was fine. We have no idea why... (2 weeks later)

Pro's: It was free, dad got it in a drawing at a conference, with a $500 CPU at the same conference:hihi: and my parrents never win anything.

So watch out for that monitor...

-Andrew

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very interesting...

today Sunday, the day after the Acer AL2216W sale ends,
major resellers now have the Acer AL2216Wbd which
is the exact same model but now with HDCP-DVI support.
It just goes to show you why models go on major sales,
and how powerful I/O options will influence model changes
since all those XBox360 owners were screaming for HDCP.
fortunately, I won't need HDCP for a few years.

It also shows you how greedy makers/resellers are since
they could have easily designed their monitors to be
able to add HDCP to an existing DVI port with nothing
more than a down-loadable bios re-flash.

BTW thanks for anyone who posted comments to keep this
thread visible in hopes others grabbed that $200 bargain.
sorry if you are reading this thread now and missed the sale,
but I'm sure other such sales will occur before August when
prices will firm up in anticipation of the back to school season.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
actually HDMI is just a miniature DVI interface standard,
something I already noted this Acer LCD does not have.

I do mean HDCP enhancement to the DVI circuitry
which is required to process XBox360 in it's full glory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_Elite

DRM is relevant to content, but not to this CRT discussion,
as it has more to do with players and recorders than displays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Update: ordered the Acer Friday, just got it this morning. set it up without any problems, no dead pixels, full res came up on my 4 year old 64mb AGP 4x card without a hitch. hopefully rebate processing won't be painfully long. I'm running it at 1280x768 which scales nicely, to enjoy the enlarged screen without going blind trying to read tiny pixel text at full resolution.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
That's a damn good deal, especially for the 22". I have a 19" Gateway LCD HD(widescreen, max res 1440x900) that's pretty solid. I bought it for $229, but that was August 2006. For just a little more, it seems like the 22" is a no-brainer for anyone in the price range looking to upgrade.

·
Registered
343 Posts
oh yea came home and it was sitting on the front porch. i love how the won't leave a $10 pack of plants on my doorstep but they leave a $200 monitor. it makes no sense.
i hooked it up and no dead pixels just gotta find a wrench small enough to adjust the tilt now =]

·
Registered
467 Posts
I do mean HDCP enhancement to the DVI circuitry
which is required to process XBox360 in it's full glory.
i'm not fimiliar with this glory you speak of. hdcp doesn't enhance a picture, and digital isn't better than analog until you're in a color space only available with hdmi 1.3a or displayport 1.1. i've never known a 360 owner say "i sure wish i had drm for my games and movies".

my 360 does 1080p over component or vga. if i wanted 1080p from my hddvds i'd need the hdmi cable, but there's no point. viewing distance is something you can't hype into being reality (1080p > 720p myth).

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
OfficeDepot has it for $200, and if you find a $40 off $199 (Circuit City) or a $50 off $200 (Staples) then you can get a big monitor for a good price. OD's policy allows for competitor coupons. Of course, the local store can always come up with some lame excuse, but it might be worth a try if you're looking for one. Circuit City has them cheaper too...

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Office Depot now has these 22" bargains IN STORE for $179 each!
a trick you can use to make sure you get one is to go to their web sight

http://www.officedepot.com/

-search for "288510" ($269 original price)

-add one to your cart, enter your zip code
then click "View Cart" in your cart,
click "Pick Up at Store", select a store.
If the first store is out of stock,
start over to try another.

don't get frustrated. it may take many
trys before you break down the price.
if you can't get 288510 back into your
cart, close that browser window, then
try again from the beginning.

-If successful, the LCD will drop to $179.03

-Buy it, then pick up at the store you designated :proud:

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.