The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 40 gallon heavily planted tank with 9 zebra danios, 1 BNpleco, 1 siamese algae eater, and about 25 shrimps (various kinds).

Water conditions are perfect:

GH 5
pH 6.6-6.8 variable day - night
Ammonia, nitrites 0
Nitrates always between 0-2ppm
Temp - consistently 71-73 degrees F

Daily dose excel, Co2. Nighttime Co2 off + aeration.

I have this one long fin zebra danio that is basically the smallest male in the tank, and he is viciously chasing every other danio (doesn't bother the siamese algae eater or the BNpleco). I thought he'd settle down after a week or so and stop being such a bully, but this morning I woke up and saw that his gill was kinda torn up (like he was fighting and maybe got is little butt kicked), and I don't know what to do.

I have 9- so if I return him, I'll have an odd number which my local aquarist told me isn't a good idea. Do I have too many or too few danios in this tank? How do I get this little guy to chill out? He is harshing the mellow in my peaceful tank-utopia. =(

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would certainly add more. If your intent is to have one school and you've chosen zebras as that school and you're not going to add much more bioload other than the BN, the SAE and the shrimp - I'd get that school up to 25. The 40B is a great tank - big footprint means big surface area. You could easily do it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want the danios to be happy--no overcrowded or anything--I want to keep the bioload under 50% max because I feel like that leaves plenty of resources, space etc. for everyone. If I add maybe 2 more danios, do you think that will calm this little jerk down? I don't know if I really want a school that large, I was thinking 11 max--and yes, only 1 school in this tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts