The Planted Tank Forum banner

aggressive Sparkling Gouramis

7407 4
I was playing around with different stocking combinations on aqadvisor.com/ for a tank that I'm cycling right now. At the bottom of the page I received a warning about Sparkling Gouramis being aggressive to all of the different species, of small schooling fish, that I entered.
Warning: When Sparkling Gourami starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Emerald Eye Rasbora.
Does anyone have any experience keeping them? Have you experienced them causing any problems with your other fish?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
I was playing around with different stocking combinations on aqadvisor.com/ for a tank that I'm cycling right now. At the bottom of the page I received a warning about Sparkling Gouramis being aggressive to all of the different species, of small schooling fish, that I entered.

Does anyone have any experience keeping them? Have you experienced them causing any problems with your other fish?
I have had them with danio's, rasbora, cory's and rams. Never had problem with them there so small they couldn't hurt anything. Just me but they didn't even brother each other.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Years back I had a group of them in a 29 gallon community. They seemed fine at first but eventually got really aggressive and I had to separate them. I left 2 males in the 29 and they were fine. I'm pretty sure they were both male.. the males and females look similar. The other three (another male and 2 female) went into another tank, and eventually back to the fish store. I think as long as there are no females and plenty of space, males should be fine together. I have one solitary male in my 20 long now, and he's very timid and peaceful toward the other fish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Right now I have more than 30 guppies (most of them are juvenile), 7 neons, 2 otos, 3 platys, 2 endlers, and a pair of pygmy gouramis, one male the other female in a 80 liter tank (around 20 gallon). In my past experience the gouramis are the most shiny and peaceful creatures of them all by far, except when mating and breeding.
The best way to differentiate males from females is to look in the under belly (no, seriously), the males have a semi-transparent region where in the case of the females the belly expands to the bottom.
But, about one or two weeks ago a bobble nest appear under an anubia nana leaf, surprisingly pretty close to the ground. I even catch the male one or two times blowing bobbles to the nest. From that day on fish that comes close to the nest, fish that is pursued to a prudent distance, the size doesn't matter (some platys are 5 times bigger), even otos are chased by the father (cat fish usually not interact with other fish). He is not really aggressive, in the sense that he does not harm, but makes sure that nobody wants to be close. The female time to time helps the male chasing other fish, BUT she is also not allowed to be close to the nest, the male attacks very directly if she tries.
As today, about 10 babies hang on from the bobbles, they a littler smaller than a guppy just born. And the parent, after several days or weeks guarding non-stop under the nest, takes some time to himself (to eat something provably, is hard to see one of this creatures eating), but still chases other fish.

So I end with a question, somebody known what is comes next? I mean, the parent will protect further the babies? Because right now they seem a pretty easy snack to other fish...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.