The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Red-Tail Shark who is fairly aggressive toward both my Bala Sharks and my Pictus catfish, especially during feeding time. When I got him about 3 months or so ago he was very peaceful....spent his days munching on the algae off rock, leaves, and the glass...Back then he was probably about 2 inches and skinny. Now he has plumped up real good and has grown to a little under 4 inches. The Pictus and Balas are not new editions either, they've been in the tank just about as long as he has and he was never aggressive to them. One of my Balas is about 3.5-4 inches, the other is about 3 inches and not as beefy as the first. My Pictus is just about 4 inches. The Balas and Pictus are very peaceful to the other fish, the Pictus minds his own business and doesnt bother anyone. The Red-Tail Shark will chase off the Balas every now and then but its not too bad...but during feeding he becomes really aggressive and if he spots them munching on a piece of carnivorous pellet, he dashes after them and runs them off. And if he sees the Pictus eating he gets REALLY angry and will stalk, chase and nip at him while they weave through plants and driftwood and finally the Pictus loses him in the wall of air bubbles (the Pictus' home and sanctuary). Despite this, all the fish do manage to get more than enough to eat and everyone in the tank seems really healthy...I don't think the shark actually ever bites them, he just chases them. And they always come back for more food as soon as he isn't looking so I dont think they're too scared of the Shark, really...Also, I know in a couple months, both the Pictus and the Balas will outgrow the Red-Tail, so maybe he'll back off then. I really love the Red-Tail Shark, extremely interesting, graceful and beautiful fish...jet black body and bright orange tail. One of the more interesting parts of my tank. I would hate to have to get rid of him but if he does actually damage any of my other fish I probably will. Anyone have any recommendations to alleviate the Shark's aggression until the other fish get bigger than him?? BTW, I've got some smaller fish in there and he doesn't bother them at all...just the fish that are his size. What do you think? Also, when I feed the fish flakes, he doesn't really bother anyone...its just when I feed the tank sinking food.

P.S. Bluebell before you say anything, please know that when my Balas and/or Pictus get to 7-8 inches, I am moving from my 55 gallon to a ridiculously larger tank. So thank you for your lecturing in advance. But I do appreciate your advice. :wink:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sounds like typical behavior for the RTS. Mine only chases the SAE's in my tank, doesn't bother anyone else. Could it be that he doesn't have enough territory?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't know what size of tank they are in now, but it sounds normal for the RTS. You can try changing up the hardscape to make more territories and see if that helps. He may just end up killing or wounding one of your other fish easily enough though. IMHO 3 bottom dwellers (of different species)in a 40g or less is too much unless they are peaceful like cories. I made the same mistake with a RTS and a loach and had to return the RTS, the loach still ended up harassing the rest of the tank though....

Maybe upgrade is in order now? If you start it'll be ready for when they are bigger....
Kara

·
Registered
888 Posts
P.S. Bluebell before you say anything, please know that when my Balas and/or Pictus get to 7-8 inches, I am moving from my 55 gallon to a ridiculously larger tank. So thank you for your lecturing in advance. But I do appreciate your advice. :wink:
:hihi: :hihi:
Why would you address me that message?:icon_lol: Ho ho...RTS are just in their usual aggressive mood so it's expected and I would assume...very predictable of the owner to tell a story about his RTS being aggressive to other fish.:tongue: :wink:

How thick do I get..I'm being a prat of being addressed here.:help: Now what do I do with you, mate?:icon_twis

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the reason I said that is because I know you hate overcrowding fish and are wary of overgrowing fish in too small a tank...so I wanted to save you a couple minutes of lecturing... :biggrin:

·
Registered
888 Posts
the reason I said that is because I know you hate overcrowding fish and are wary of overgrowing fish in too small a tank...so I wanted to save you a couple minutes of lecturing... :biggrin:
LMAO :icon_lol:

I think I should be pinching your ears for failing to understand my first post.:hihi: :icon_lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Bluebell, it seems obvious you must be from the UK and perhaps the vernacular doesn't translate well.
ergo, I have NO IDEA what you're talking about here:

I'm being a prat of being addressed here.

·
Registered
172 Posts
RTS can be pretty aggressive. My RTS is about 4"-4.5" and thick, he has no problem living with cichlids. In fact, he loves to pick on and chase the 4" OB zebras and yellow labs.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If you love the looks of the fish so much, you can toss it out and use red fin shark instead (rainbow shark). The overall look is quite similar with all fins red, the fish is less agressive as well. At most they will harras each other or similar species for grazing territory.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Well Bluebell, it seems obvious you must be from the UK and perhaps the vernacular doesn't translate well.
ergo, I have NO IDEA what you're talking about here:
Er..I live in the Philippines.:hihi: :flick: I mean to say I feel like being an idiot because I never anticipated someone will address a P.S. for me.:tongue: I'm flattered though by your comment that I seem to live in UK.:hihi: Oh..pls don't ask me why I'm flattered..:help:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts