The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently acquired a PomPom crab, Killifish and a blue stiphon goby for my 3 gallon setup. It very heavily planted with lots of hiding spots. However shortly after acclimation and adding to the tank, the PomPom crab pinned the goby and ate it... I was under the impression that these crabs were very peaceful.. I since removed the goby remains and gave the crab Hikari crab cuisine, which it has been holding and eating. However now I am worried about my clown killifish!!!! Has anyone else had similar experiences of aggression? I received the fish via mail, so I am unsure if it was just really hungry? Or if fish in general are not safe with the crab in this size setup.

Any help asap would be very much appreciated! I dont want to loose any of my killifsh. I will attach pictures of the setup.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,539 Posts
Do you mean Stiphodon? With a Pompom Crab? And killifish? In a 3 gallon container?

Terrible idea on all fronts.

Judgment aside, however, the Ptychognathus crab ate your goby because it's in their nature to catch fish, shrimp, other crabs. Who told you they'd be suitable in a setup like that?

Gobies like that also need much larger, high-flow tanks in order to live decent lives. Their diets consist primarily of Aufwuchs, something you can't really cultivate in a setup like that. But that's no longer an issue for you.

You definitely need to separate the crab from your other fish, as they're small enough to be caught.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean Stiphodon? With a Pompom Crab? And killifish? In a 3 gallon container?

Terrible idea on all fronts.

Judgment aside, however, the Ptychognathus crab ate your goby because it's in their nature to catch fish, shrimp, other crabs. Who told you they'd be suitable in a setup like that?

Gobies like that also need much larger, high-flow tanks in order to live decent lives. Their diets consist primarily of Aufwuchs, something you can't really cultivate in a setup like that. But that's no longer an issue for you.

You definitely need to separate the crab from your other fish, as they're small enough to be caught.
I should clarify that they're young clown killifish. And Aquatic Arts, where I got them all from, says a 5 gallon is suitable for a PomPom crab, so I figured my planted 3 gallon bowl would work (atleast for now). The blue Stiphondon Goby was definitely a test. I have another tank with multiple of them and high flow that I had for backup, but I did not think the crab would eat it!
If you read up on the PomPom crab, people that have kept them, say they pay little to no attention to other fish (thus why I figured it would work). With that said, I believe it was just very hungry and the goby occupied the same area of water column.
Been watching the setup since posting this thread and the killi's have swam by the crab and it showed no interest in the fish. Just the Hikari Crab Cuisine. However Clown Killi's are a personal favorite of mine and if they are in serious danger like the goby was, I can move the crab. Not sure where I would put him though as this setup was primarily setup for the crab/killifish.
Side note, I have lots of setups so if moving the crab is needed I can go down the list of new tank options lol.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I've only kept crabs with middle and top level swimmers and snails. Rarely have I had a problem. They definitely get food aggressive, though. My only concern is really the size of the container with all of them in there, maybe if you bumped up to a 7 or 10 gallon it wouldn't be as likely to happen.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up; I reached out to Aquatic Arts regarding the situation and they said because the Killifish inhabit the upper third of the aquarium they should be fine. However as we all know, there are cases of variances regarding particular individuals aggression of certain species. I have yet to notice the crab showing any interest in catching the Clown Killifish so far, but I am worried about what will happen when the lights go out. I would love to be able to keep the crab in this setup (which I think may just be a matter of keeping it well fed), but if this is going to be a real problem I can try and work something out.

I've only kept crabs with middle and top level swimmers and snails. Rarely have I had a problem. They definitely get food aggressive, though. My only concern is really the size of the container with all of them in there, maybe if you bumped up to a 7 or 10 gallon it wouldn't be as likely to happen.
What do you mean by food aggressive? I am starting to wonder if it was just really hungry and thought the goby was food due to its swimming behavior and location in which it resides. Also because, as soon as I dropped the crab cuisine in, it rushed over and grabbed the food right away.
Sadly I do not have the room on my office desk for a bigger setup, but like I said I have multiple other setups. However not too sure if the other tanks inhabitants will be much more compatible (as well the tanks are bigger, so not sure if I will ever see the crab there).

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Mine were the same, and they don't appreciate when other inhabitants try to steal, though usually they just got into their stand off position placing the food under them and nothing becomes of it. They don't hit above their weight class, though, so if the other tanks mates are a bit bigger they usually retreat and hide. Anytime you mix crabs and crayfish in there's always a risk to other livestock, no real way around it, though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright after watching, the grab finished his crab cuisine and then started to try and catch the clown Killi's (did not have any luck thankfully) so I just removed the crab. Going to try and find another home for him in my other setups :(

·
Super Moderator
15,539 Posts
Definitely don't trust Aquatic Arts.

Awesome that you were able to move the crab. In my experience, they've always been way more outgoing and generally aggressive than you'd think. Definitely a million times more aggressive than Micro Crabs. Unfortunately, your Killies would probably eat Micros. But they are awesome little critters you should consider keeping sometime.

Killies are definitely fine in a setup like that. It's probably ideal for them, honestly, because you've got so many plants and nooks and crannies for them to explore. They're such an underrated fish. On that note - do you have a tank journal where you highlight them? If not, PLEASE start one. For real. I'd love to see more of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts