The Planted Tank Forum banner

Aggressive Gourami

2412 7
I bought two sunset gouramis and one died due to a filter accident (which I have since fixed). I bought another sunset gourami last weekend, but didn't realize they are both males. The first gourami (Oscar) constantly chases the new one around the tank and the new gourami is terrified of it. It has been hiding in the corners of the tank and today I found it hiding in a crevice in an ornament. I was planning to put three guppies in the tank. Someone told me that the new fish may stop Oscar from being aggressive with the newer one, but that doesn't sound right to me. Is there anything I can do to stop Oscar from chasing the new gourami or am I stuck returning one of them? Also, would I risk Oscar attacking the guppies as well?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 3 Dwarf Gouramis, and in the begining the two flame morphs bullied the third normal one, but with some larger plants and driftwood he has enough places to hide it isn't a problem. Now the two flames constantly posture at each other but do no harm.

You probably won't be able to find any females, I know I can't. Fish stores often only sell male sunsets and dwarfs because they are more colorful.

I would suggest trying to give them more hiding spots, I don't know that getting guppies is the best idea. My experience with Dwarfs is that they are bullies despite how they are sold. Also if you decided to toss Cherry shrimp in the tank, they will try to eat even the biggest ones despite everything saying they are only a threat to the baby shrimp.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's a territorial dispute. Oscar sees the "new" guy as an invader in his home. Remove both of them to separate containers. Then rearrange the tank. Afterwards put the new guy in first, then Oscar. They will carve out new territories as they are "no longer in the same place".
If that doesn't work then it may just be that Oscar is just really aggressive (which I don't think is the case as you didn't seem to have an aggression issue with the original other gourami). If he is just aggressive, then add more tall structures to the tank that will break line of sight during a chase.
What size is the tank musician? That is actually the biggest question as in to small of a tank and there will be no possible way to "fit two territories" in the space.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a territorial dispute. Oscar sees the "new" guy as an invader in his home. Remove both of them to separate containers. Then rearrange the tank. Afterwards put the new guy in first, then Oscar. They will carve out new territories as they are "no longer in the same place".
If that doesn't work then it may just be that Oscar is just really aggressive (which I don't think is the case as you didn't seem to have an aggression issue with the original other gourami). If he is just aggressive, then add more tall structures to the tank that will break line of sight during a chase.
What size is the tank musician? That is actually the biggest question as in to small of a tank and there will be no possible way to "fit two territories" in the space.

10 gallon. Don't have $$ or room for a bigger one right now =/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.