The Planted Tank Forum banner

after mating

788 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ravensgate 
#1 ·
so i came home to find one of my females molted and i think she might have mated but im not sure. so i was wondering how long after the mating does the female show berries? also do male shrimp take longer to mature than females?

#2 ·
Generally takes just a few hours for them to form berries, I've watched everything happen from molting, mating, to berrying and it was within 3 hours the female started berrying, next day she was fully berried. While they are berrying up I've noticed they'll bend their bodies...almost like a woman doubling over with cramps. At least that's how it's been with my neos and CRS. Other shrimps might be different and I suppose each shrimp could be different.

#4 ·
Oh that depends on quite a few things...temp being one. I've got PFR/Supremes that are 4 months old that are still very small due to being in 70 degree tank temps. They are about the same size as a 2-3 week old neos in 76-78 degree tank temps. Bump the temp up and yeah, they grow super fast. But keep the temps low and growth slows. I've got a few 5 month olds that are still subadult size and just developing saddles.

But yes, on average with normal temps more in the 74-78 range (again just talking about neos here), those figures look about right:)

#5 ·
once they mate they show berring quickly... and um.. mating looks like they are dead on their side..

i every time one delivers in my tank they are berried like the next day or so...

#8 ·
Thanks for catching that, raven. :)

Shrimp growth + Temp = K

K is a constant. Temp definitely plays a role.
The higher the temp, the faster growth.
The lower the temp, the slower the growth.

However before everyone throws heaters in their tanks: Metabolism and temperature equates to how long your shrimp will live as well.

Shrimp longevity + Temp = K

Where K is a constant.
The higher the Temp, the shorter your shrimp will live.
The lower your temp, the longer your shrimp will live.

#9 ·
Yes indeedy! Shorten ye old lifespan at the higher temps, least that's what I've read. Those Supremes I sent to you, the medium sized babies that were in there were already 8 weeks old when you got them. Tiny little things but I kept it a cool 68-70 degrees in that tank. I have doubt they'd have been big enough to be saddled if I'd been running that tank as a neo only tank (which I would normally keep those at higher temps just for growth). I have a shrimpie journal and I write down every time a batch of babies is born so I can track those growth patterns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.