The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some Bolbitis heudelotii. I need plants that are shorter than 10". If you have any please contact me. I'd also like to see pictures of the plants I would be buying.

Thanks
George

·
Registered
166 Posts
My experience: when african fern is introduced to new environment, the leaves will turn to black and shrink to almost die. You can trim off all leaves, and new leaves will come out from the trunk again. So, it does not matter how large the leaves are at the beginning.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have had several of these ferns and have never had them die back.

I do have a couple of nice ones in a ten gallon that I can prune for you if you are interested. I'll take a pick when i get home from work.

Bruce

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sorry but I used to be a gardener specializing in Tropical plants and ferns are not like rose bushes and they do not like to be radically pruned. They may grow back eventually but radical pruning will probably cause the plants to go into shock. I do recommend that you remove dead or dieing leaves but cutting the rhizome sometimes leads to rotting.

Better to buy a small plant and let it grow naturally then to by a big plant and cut it up.

Bruce

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
Sorry but I used to be a gardener specializing in Tropical plants and ferns are not like rose bushes and they do not like to be radically pruned. They may grow back eventually but radical pruning will probably cause the plants to go into shock. I do recommend that you remove dead or dieing leaves but cutting the rhizome sometimes leads to rotting.

Better to buy a small plant and let it grow naturally then to by a big plant and cut it up.

Bruce
It does take a little while, but they grow right back. Ive done it quite a few times.
Are you referring to tropical plants as aquatics? My stem plants come back thicker after every trim.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.