The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its so difficult to find information on african aquatics without it being related to african cichlids.

I'm looking for a list of african aquarium plants for an upcoming tank build that will be, dun dun dun, an african biotope to give my kirbs a lovely new home.

The tank will be either 75 or 90g, house a pair of kirb's, a healthy number of congo tetra, perhaps some Synodontis, and a ctenopoma. (looking into killifish as well) so i'm looking for some heavy plant coverage. I will be running t5ho, co2, and dosing ferts.

While I am finding information, there are a lot of educated folks on here that may be able to rattle off names faster than i can google them!

Appreciate the help gang!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mongabay got different african biotopes and the plants related to the lakes. Might want to check them out.

http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope.htm
that is a great link! thanks

Scapegoat, your tank will look awesome with killifish in there. I've been pondering of getting some myself.
but which one, and how many? they're neat little fish. I figured congo tetra may end up being the large school in the tank, which is looking to end up as a 125g.

APongeton are african plants I believe
are you not allowing anything from madagascar?
those are neat looking plants. I'm not going to be a hardcore stickler for what goes into the tank, and i dont think anyone that is going to see the tank in person is going to know one thing from another.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if your willing to do something from madagascar why not a large Lace?
i'm really liking a thick area of Vallisneria spiralis as the background plant, with a couple african anubias and african fern spread around the rock and wood scape with a healthy amount of Eleocharis parvula for the foreground.

after looking at some tanks with less species, i think that is the way to go.

though, i think i might want to throw in a splash of color... i'll have high light, ferts, and co2, so i should find something red, perhaps a lilly of some sort.

what about floaters?

very much appreciating all the input, giving me the ability to think this over a bit better. I've got a few months of planning ahead of me as we're renovating the basement.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
i'm really liking a thick area of Vallisneria spiralis as the background plant, with a couple african anubias and african fern spread around the rock and wood scape with a healthy amount of Eleocharis parvula for the foreground.

after looking at some tanks with less species, i think that is the way to go.

though, i think i might want to throw in a splash of color... i'll have high light, ferts, and co2, so i should find something red, perhaps a lilly of some sort.

what about floaters?

very much appreciating all the input, giving me the ability to think this over a bit better. I've got a few months of planning ahead of me as we're renovating the basement.
I dont know much on floaters but Tiger Lotus's are from Africa.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.