The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
453 Posts
I was in the same situation, so I said "BOTH" :) I'm doing discus in my 90 with red eye tetras and something else, and a lake Tanganyika setup in my 56.

I've always been one to have the fish that are cooler than my LFS has, I racked up so much money in store credit years ago when I was selling the offspring from my discus as an example. So I think it would behoove you to look past the LFS a bit (they can special order things frequently anyway, they just don't want to hold onto a bunch of oddball fish that people don't really know much about). ANYWAY on that vein I suggest you take a look at Tanganyika and Victoria if you want to look at the African side of things.

Just to tell a bit, my African tank is going to have multifasciatus on the sand (shell dwellers), Julidochromis sp. (cave dweller) in a rock pile in the corner/back, and Blue Flash cyps. One place to look is livefishdirect.com (no affiliation, just a pleased customer). When I've had lake tang before, I ran the tank at 8.8 to 9.0 pH, and 12-13 dKH (a bit harder and more alkaline than saltwater reef). PM if you have any specific questions :)

· Registered
453 Posts
Most fish from Lake T. have a bit less color, other than a few like the blue flash cyps and maybe lelupi (orange or yellow). But lake T fish are also less aggressive especially shell dwellers for the most part. Julidochromis types are not TOO bad, though they will fight a big if the population climbs too high. I have a 56, 30 long x 18 wide x 24 tall, so like a 90 but only 30" (like a 29 gal).

The thing that's cool is the shellies live in one part, the juli's another (the rocks) and the cyps hang out up top. Clavus are nice too, and don't get too big and have a few color choices.

As far as lights, I like T5s being a reefkeeper, I like a 50/50 actinic /white bulb and then a 10000K and then a 6700K

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.