The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever done it?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Definitely. Most of those frogs are bred in captivity and it's actually pretty easy to do it. For the most part they will condition in a normal tank if you feed a diverse diet, dry brine shrimp/daphnia as well as bloodworms, blackworms and other live copepods work well.

To induce spawning, you have to simulate a drain-flood-rain cycle by lowering water, adding new cold water, and then heating that water slowly up to 80-82°F. I think this simulates the transition between seasons and causes them to breed. In the wild, they breed after drought periods when new rain falls.

When ready, males will start chirping to signal I guess. They will also start moving erratically as well as trying to hug each other. This is the frog-breeding-hug and it usually occurs when lights are out.

Taking care of the eggs is very easy as well, sponge or low flow filters are recommended. The female will deposit eggs on/under plants after they have been fertilized. Remove all adults from the tank, as they will cannabilize their eggs. Maintain temperature at 78°F and the eggs will hatch within a few days.

Tadpoles are very easy to take care of, they eat algae and small copepods and worms.

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you it seems simple enough when ya put it like that.
But I still got a few questions. How many should I get initially? Also I don't really use any heaters I think I have one in a 10 gal, but that's it. Would they still breed? Average house temp is 75. Where would I get them? Petsmart sells them but I doubt they're healthy.

Random last question, do they eat ramhorn snails?

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If you want to breed them I would start a separate tank. You definitely need a heater, as part of the process is lowering the water level, introducing cooler water, and then heating it past 78°F.

If you just want to keep them, I would get one or two. If you want to breed them, maybe a trio of females and a male?

They're often available in most LFS, they are really common and you can source them online. There's two species commonly available and I think Petco carries the smaller one.

I don't think they'll be able to eat ramhorns, they are pretty fragile and weak.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, what about the ramshorn eggs? Is there a good heater brand you would recommend? I was looking at the freesea brand on ama zon would that work? I don't really know much about heaters? anything specific I should look for? What tank size should I have?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didnt know they could eat daphnia? I would think that would be too fast and small?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Use whatever heater you feel like, for the most part they all work the same. I have used cheap Jebo heaters as well as the expensive Marineland and Hagen ones. If it works, it works. The most important component to the breeding set up is probably a good sponge or corner matten filter.

No clue on the eggs, AFAIK not many things enjoy slimy snail eggs.

There are larger species like daphnia magna, gammarus scuds work as well but I was referring to vitamin-enhanced dried daphnia.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What tank size would you recommend for breeding them? I see a lot of sites say a frog per gallon?

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
5g is fine if you keep up on water changes and aren't breeding a bunch of them, 10g should be enough to raise all the babies to full size. If you plan on permanently housing them, something like a 20L is perfect because of the longer, shallow footprint of the tank. They need to surface for air, so a shorter tank is better for them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am setting up a 10 gal rn for shrimp, and I was going to do a 5.5 for the frogs. Would you switch the tanks? 10 gal for frogs and 5.5 for shrimp?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 2.5 gal snail tank, what live culture would you suggest I do that can live along with the snails, to feed the frogs?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Again, that's all up to your personal preference. The size of the tank will be determined by how many you want to breed and how long you want to keep them. You can easily end up with too many tadpoles, and none of your tanks could permanently house them all. I reccommend using the 10g if you plan on just keeping them. If you want to breed them, you need larger tanks in order to house a number of them long term.

I don't do breeding with anything under 10g so I wouldn't advise using smaller tanks for major breeding projects. I'm sure you can, but often there simply isn't enough water volume for multiple specimens and enough maintenance done to keep small volumes of water stable. You can grow out fry and breed dwarf shrimp in smaller tanks but I wouldn't try to do a bunch of tadpoles in a 5g. You can, but I wouldn't.

Live cultures are not necessary but if you want you can use blackworms, whiteworms, bloodworms, gammarus scuds, daphnia magna, or green water and infusoria.

When I tried this, I fed the adults with frozen bloodworms, dried daphnia, and live scuds. I fed dried daphnia and green water with infusoria to the tadpoles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts