The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I want to make an El natural African chiclid algae farm biotope in a 20 long, should I do malawis or tanginyika if I did tanginyika I was thinking a m/f pair of brichardi a harem of julichromis and a pair of red cherry tropheus idk tho but I want a tank that’s super naturalistic any good list of fish?

And what should I do to make the tank right water chemistry. If I throw on a powerhead agronite sand with a matten filter should it work?

I hate dwarf African chiclids like neolamprlogus multifasciarus

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some of the only cichlids that would work in a 20g are dwarf cichlids or shell dwellers. All the fish you listed above need 40-75 gallons, and that number doesn't even take into account that they would be living together. These fish might not get very big, but they are extremely aggressive and would rip each other to shreds in a 20g. Since you don't like dwarf cichlids you would be better of stocking you tank with nano fish or getting a much larger tank.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I hate nano fish too
Then I'd suggest getting a bigger tank (like a 55+) if you want to keep the African cichlids you listed in your OP. Plenty of room for them to grow and swim in a 55.

As far as how to scape it, you can do a web search for "Lake Tanganyika" and recreate what you see. A quick search yielded this description from Wikipedia:

"Most species occur along the coastal fringes of the lake at depths less than 3 m. These rocky shores, with numerous rocky outcroppings and boulder formations, form a habitat similar to many of the mbuna cichlids of Lake Malawi. This habitat provides shelter, and due to the shallow depth and the long hours of strong sunlight, heavy algal growth on which they feed."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.