The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of getting an african butterfly my 120 gallon tank. Should I get one or do they like to be in groups? and would they get along with my current fish?

2 bala sharks
3 siamese algae eaters
3 glass catfish
1 rubbernose pleco
1 gold gourami
1 pearl gourami
3 bolivian rams
2 pictus catfish
and an uncontrolled population of guppies

I'm aware that an ABF will destroy the guppy population but I'm ok with that. I'm more worried about the glass cats getting eaten or the gouramis bothering the ABF.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
They are loners, from what I have read. I have not kept one, though.
I would have thought the other fish (especially the Pictus and Bala Sharks) would have eaten enough Guppy fry to keep the population under control.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya you would think that but bala sharks won't chase anything (except eachother). They probably have eaten a few fry but it's not like they go hunting. The pictus generally stay hidden during the day and only really come out at night when the fry are sleeping in the floating plants.
You know every time I buy a new fish I am told it will eat the guppies but they never do! Maybe I will get another female betta that seemed to work until she died :(

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
My Bichers are very efficient Guppy hunters. Within 24 hours of adding some culled Guppies there is not one to be found.
They would also eat fish the size of your Rams, and Glass Cats. But would sure get rid of the Guppy explosion!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts