The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although this is about my non-plant tank, I'm killing aquaclear impellers and am looking for advise. Just switched a tank to sand last week, intakes are a good 8" off the sand and covered by foam. The filters run great however as soon as you shut them off, even if they have only been ran a day from brand new, and turn them on the impellers begin screaming. The magnets are getting chipped slightly. So the only thing I can think of is weekly while doing wc's completely tear down BOTH filters to clean the magnet region. this seems like a lot of time though. Any helpful advise would be great.

If AC's are just a curse with sand. would a fluval fx5/ eheim 2028/ eheim 2215 be any better since the impellers on the eheims are after the media and on top. I'm thinking they should because the magnet would be even harder to get into.

·
Registered
575 Posts
While I don't have anything to compare to since this is the first tank that I've set up with a sand substrate, I will say that my FX5 has had no issues with sand or screaming impellers in said sandy tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts