The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, not new to fish keeping but inexperienced with CO2 and hi-tech tanks. I've looked at the Gla systems and that may be the way I go. I want a really good regulator ( do not want to deal with the potential of EOTD ) also, a ph reg. I'd like to give the business to a lfs, so is there a system comparable in quality to Gla available in stores? Not going paint ball, going with 5 or 10 lb tank. This system is for a 75 G plant ,fish, and shrimp community. I also will be installing a Fluval G6 w/ inline heat and maybe UV. Lighting tbd.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Bill, when you say plug and play, how do your regs work with ph controllers and what about drop checkers?
Drop checkers aren't anything attached to the regulator at all. You can use drop checkers with anything (DIY CO2, regulator setup, or even no CO2 injection at all, even though it'd be useless then). All that a drop checker does is measure a change in pH, and it is standalone from other equipment.

Can't answer your question about pH controllers, as I have no experience.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
The is no worry with EOTD dump when you are using a pH controller. That's the point of these devices, they will shut off the solenoid if CO2 levels push the pH too far down. You just set you controller to turn off when you have reached a target pH level. Typically a full point or more lower. My tank sits at just above 8.0 without CO2 and I use the controller to push it down to 6.6.

Knowing what I know now about CO2 systems I probably would not buy another one, but I do really like having it on the tank. Soon I am going to incorporate another full system that will distribute to three additional tanks and I will not be using a controller.

A good needle valve and regulator pretty much removes the necessity of the pH controller. Again though, it is kind of nice always knowing the pH and not ever having to worry about my needle valve being just right.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
You never said what your budget is. That is if you have one. I build my regulators and can tell you that more expensive isn't always better. A good high quality co2 system is worth it's weight in gold because it will last forever, literally. With that being said, search around this forum and others about the individual parts of the co2 system. You will find various reviews on needle valves, regulators, solenoids, and other parts. When you feel comfortable with what parts you want, you can select the system you desire. GLA, Sumo, Bettatail, Btimmer and Oldpunk will all sell quality setups that are considered high end.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Bill, when you say plug and play, how do your regs work with ph controllers and what about drop checkers?
Drop checkers go inside the tank. No relation to the regulator. A ph controller can be used with any regulator that has a solenoid. You just plug the ph controller into the wall, and plug the solenoid into the ph controller. My regulators have solenoids (unless you don't want one).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.