The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a wild pair of Pelvicachromis Kienke, there was no implication that they were a bonded pair.
After several days of hiding and settling in they are coloring up nicely, coming out more, eating better.
The issue is the male chasing the female all over the tank like he's going to kill her. They are never in the same area of the tank at the same time.
Would it be best to purchase another female or 2 or should I wait a bit longer to see if they settle down more? The female is not sustaining any damage and she eats well.
I've had them for 2 weeks only, they are in a 20 gallon tank with plants, rock, and driftwood to hide.
Any suggestions as to a course of action with these 2?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If the female is eating okay and not injured I would leave things as is. It sounds like she just isn't interested in spawning. The females colors will really intensify when she is ready to spawn and then get even more intense during the spawning ritual. Does the male shake in front of her or just chase her?

A 20 gallon tank is a bit small for this species, they prefer a larger territory but it sounds like you already have enough plants and hardscape to provide hiding places and break sight lines.

You could add another female to see which the male ends up bonding with. If you do that I would advise you to remove the additional female once you have a bonded pair. I put a male in with two females once and after they bonded the winning female killed the loser. It is probably better to just give it some time and see how this pair does. Three in a tank that size means more competition for living space which may be all the existing two are trying to work out now.

good luck with them, they are beautiful fish!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks captain bu. My inclination was to leave them for a bit to work things out & see if they bond.
I have not seen the male shake for the girl but that doesn't mean he hasn't, I've only witnessed him chasing her.
The female is in good shape - no chunks missing and she has a great appetite.
Their tank space will double in a bit, waiting for the 40 gallon to cycle, more plants, etc. sorry I didn't mention that, I should have. The 40 was supposed to be ready before these guys arrived but it didn't work out that way.
If they don't seem to like each other even after the move I'll look into another female, let the boy choose then remove the 3rd wheel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.