The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a low tech tank - budget friendly too. (currently broke) so low cost or DIY!

I have a 58 Gal. L 36.5 x W 18.5 x H 21 tank

Need lights - currently have a two light eclipse t5no 24" light hanging from above tank ( bulbs are very old!) currently tank is a discus growout but moving the discus to the living room 75.

I have three 15 lb bags of midnight flora-Max from other various tanks - will need to add something under or on top (not sure which way to go)

I have a 150 gallon planted tank also (has a outbreak of hair algae though!) So can rob some plants for startup and have some mosses and hornwort extra from.

Have some blyxia also I would like to use. Otherwise what recommendations would you have? I have some blue rams I would like to put in and low grade RCS villa from my colony that I will add too once set up and cycled.

Nicole

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I am setting up a low tech tank - budget friendly too. (currently broke) so low cost or DIY!

I have a 58 Gal. L 36.5 x W 18.5 x H 21 tank. Currently have a two light eclipse t5no 24" light hanging from above tank.

I have three 15 lb bags of midnight flora-Max from other various tanks - will need to add something under or on top (not sure which way to go)
Broke then sell some of the tanks on craigslist or buy slowly to rebuild.

Put the light on the tank and put it near a sunny window. Probably only able to grow anubias, moss, ferns, and wisteria.

Put Scott's top soil down and then top with the FloraMax.

For background I prefer fabric. Easy to change and cheap. I use silk material behind my tank. Having the light, T8, behind back made the fabric pop.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - broke cause I'm finishing setting up high tech 150 gallon (need CO2 tank only) Just not alot extra to set up this one but want to get it up with substrate and cycling at least. It is running with no fish today, transferred discus yesterday.

Was looking into low cost lighting options, fabric is a great idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Thanks - broke cause I'm finishing setting up high tech 150 gallon (need CO2 tank only)

Was looking into low cost lighting options, fabric is a great idea. Thanks!
You seem to have the collectorites bug.

Check out the hardware stores and Petblvd.com Sometimes the hardware stores don't have the proper replacement bulbs for the light fixtures they sell. For example T5NO bulbs for 1/2 in to short for the fixture they sold.

Cheapest light though is light from a south window. With that can only have moss, ferns and anubias.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol - I have two south facing 20L (in window) that are doing good. Anachris and mosses. (Bolivian ram breeding pair and (soon to be German blue ram pair)

Would agree about the collecting! Have some juvenile groups about to hit breeder age that I will need to start to separate - hence more tanks! Didn't expect them all to make it from babe to adult!

This tank is going to be my relaxing tank (not a breeding tank) just one to watch and relax before bed! At least thats the plan!

Will get some potting soil at lowes or HD tomorrow or Thursday, to put under the flora-max.

How many watts of light would you try to get on tank?

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
It would be so much easier and cheaper to turn the 20G long into a planted tank. For with the width of the 58G you need at least 2 T8 strips. At Pet Blvd. All glass dual $76 ($10 shipping). With that light you you could only grow ferns, anubias, hydrophila and Cryptocoryne.

Check out this thread. Found it by googling for 58gallon pictures and then going to the site.

Good substrate is
1st layer Reptile coconut bark for it add Co2 to the substrate
2nd layer Scotts's top soil (sift it when dry) with Gh booster
3rd layer FloraMax

Then you will only have to do water change monthly. That depends on the type of fish, though.

How about selling some of your fish on craigslist. I have seen a few sell the discus on it. Perhaps could sell some at Texas aquarium association.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is my plan (selling some of the discus) just not ready yet to let go of any. Have pairs on eggs so should have some fry soon. Also have rams on eggs so fry everywhere soon.

Thanks for the lighting info. Will look into it.

Good ideas. I know the width on the 58 is my problem but it will be sweet when it's up and going. It is on short wall in bedroom between closet and bathroom (under tv) perfect for relaxing!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
36" T5 Lighting Aquarium Light Strip Hood HO 78W Plant Discus Freshwater 6500K

Only 49.95 with free shipping?

Thoughts?

I know it's a HO light but it's not the greatest of reflectors so.... Where would that leave it.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
36" T5 Lighting Aquarium Light Strip Hood HO 78W Plant Discus Freshwater 6500K. Only 49.95 with free shipping
I found that on Ebay. Might be able to keep it low tech. For AesopRock has 100 watts of T5HO over his 55G tank.

I notice you are not getting many answers to your lighting question. Perhaps changing the name to something that hints need help with lighting would invoke the more experienced ones, like Hoppy.
Go edit > Go Advanced

Looking at 58 gallon tanks on You tube I see many have cichlids in them. Many with cichlids make a backround using styrofoam board to look like rocks.

Check out AesopRock's 55G Organic Dirt Tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.