The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone!

So I am FINALLY on spring break from school, so I can finally work on my tank! It is a 20 long for a betta. It had a divider, but one betta passed so that is removed. You can still see the blue divider-holder, but I am planning on taking that out.

Does anyone have any advice on plant/wood placement, or any ideas to make it better? How about background colors?

Water Plant Green Organism Pet supply

In the tank, I have 5 pieces of driftwood (2 on left, 3 on right), cryptocorne, anubias, java ferns, and water sprite. I also have java moss I'd like to add.

Thanks!

·
Registered
559 Posts
First question would be--- how much money are you looking to put into the tank? A tank's appearance can change drastically depending on what you can purchase.
I'm also working on a 20L but throwing a bunch of money at it if you want to see how that's working for me.....

That being said, 3 general rules:
1) follow the rule of thirds for a baseline
2) one focal point usually is easiest to pull off, 2, 3 is harder but can be done.
3) slopes slopes every where. Left to right, up and down, and everything in between. Selection of plants (foreground and background) will help create slope and depth as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips! I am planning on putting a bit of money into it. I want a better light--the one I have now is a work light with a daylight lightbulb… I've been looking for a good, >$75 fixture on amazon. I want to keep it low-tech, though, and buy minimal equipment.

I'll play around with the wood today, and post a few pictures of ideas.

Do you have any ideas for low-light foreground plants?

·
Registered
559 Posts
With the driftwood, since you are doing one main tank, it would be better to group the driftwood together to make it appear as if you had one large piece of wood. This will help establish a focal point

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
+1 to grouping the DW! I would also group the Cryps. Reg. the java moss.. I suggest pulling out any pieces of wood you want it attached to and Dry Starting it. It makes it look a lot better AND you will have more control over it's growth. Also, as mentioned, Google: Rule of Thirds. It really can help you understand how and why people scape the way they do. Then when you look at other scapes you will both see and appreciate them as art(and yours as well!!).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys! I am sorry I didn't get around to posting pictures yesterday… I got busy! I will be sure to get some today, though.

I've been looking into lighting. Here are my options:

Finnex:
Amazon.com: Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller, 30 Inch: Pet Supplies
A bit expensive for my budget, but super cool! Not out yet, though… I'd have to wait.

Amazon.com : Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 30-Inch : Pet Supplies
Also a bit expensive, but it'd work. I'd probably wait and buy the cooler Finnex one if I decided to buy this expensive.

I was also thinking about a DIY light project. I saw this thread, and it would probably cost around $35. My only question is which LED's to buy… There are so many options!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=7462041&utm_medium=email&utm_source=129

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got some ideas for driftwood! There are 3 pieces on the left, and 2 that alternate on the right. What do you think for a hardscape:

1:
Water Organism Pet supply Fish Fish supply

2:
Organism Fish Fin Wood Marine biology

3:
Vertebrate Wood Pet supply Mammal Picture frame

4:
Organism Fish Pet supply Fin Fish supply

5:
Vertebrate Mammal Pet supply Water Wood

6:
Vertebrate Organism Pet supply Mammal Water

7:
Organism Fish Pet supply Wood Marine biology

·
Registered
784 Posts
I would also remove some of that substrate (e.g. half).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that #6 is my favorite, but I also like #5 and #1.

If I went with any of these, does anyone have any tips for plant placement?

I have java moss, water sprite, java ferns, cryptocorne, and 2 large anubias, and I can easily get moneywort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts