The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls i am super stoked to make my first thread!! I would really appreciate any feedback from everyone. I'm going to start a 5.5 gallon Crystal red shrimp planted tank. I feel like i have a pretty good handle on starting it up. Here is a list of pretty much all of the supplies i am going to be using. To cycle i am going to heavily plant as well as introduce beneficial bacteria. I'm also going to upload a link to my youtube video so you can take a look for yourself at my setup. I plan on documenting the whole process. That way people can learn from any unforeseen ... "situations" lets say

My nano shrimp tank setup

5.5 Gallon Aquarium
Fluval Aquaclear 20 Hang on the back HOB Filter (not going to using carbon)
National Geographic Filter foam(to prevent accidental suckups)
Fluval Shrimp and plant substrate stratum (buffer for lower PH)
Fluval CO2 20
Fluval Shrimp granules
Check valves
Fluval Bubble Counter
Fluval Ceramic diffuser
SunGrow Mineral rocks
Heat Sink Programmed mini heater 60 watts
CFL bulb 60 watt equivalent
Ferts: Trace elements and SeaChem Flourish

Plants: Dwarf baby tears, java fern, some crypts, anubias, chain sword and maybe some water sprite.

So i guess my main questions are... What am i missing?? And how would you guys recommend dosing ferts i.e. schedule and amounts. Where would you guys recommend buying CRS or is there anyone on here who breeds them?

I really would like this to be a kindof open discussion with a lot of ideas.

Thank you!!

Read more: Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

·
Registered
18 Posts
Almond Indian leaves help a bit and for me I wish I have gotten salty shrimp gh/kh+ alot earlier. Just helps a lot and helped maintain my tank stable. My shrimp look alot more active and even got berried after I started to mix in ss with my water changes. Also if it is your first time try red cherries first. They are alot easier then crs. I do water changes once a week and feed 2x a day and they are thriving. Not much work to them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey guys and girls i am super stoked to make my first thread!! I would really appreciate any feedback from everyone. I'm going to start a 5.5 gallon Crystal red shrimp planted tank. I feel like i have a pretty good handle on starting it up. Here is a list of pretty much all of the supplies i am going to be using. To cycle i am going to heavily plant as well as introduce beneficial bacteria. I'm also going to upload a link to my youtube video so you can take a look for yourself at my setup. I plan on documenting the whole process. That way people can learn from any unforeseen ... "situations" lets say

My nano shrimp tank setup

5.5 Gallon Aquarium
Fluval Aquaclear 20 Hang on the back HOB Filter (not going to using carbon)
National Geographic Filter foam(to prevent accidental suckups)
Fluval Shrimp and plant substrate stratum (buffer for lower PH)
Fluval CO2 20
Fluval Shrimp granules
Check valves
Fluval Bubble Counter
Fluval Ceramic diffuser
SunGrow Mineral rocks
Heat Sink Programmed mini heater 60 watts
CFL bulb 60 watt equivalent
Ferts: Trace elements and SeaChem Flourish

Plants: Dwarf baby tears, java fern, some crypts, anubias, chain sword and maybe some water sprite.

So i guess my main questions are... What am i missing?? And how would you guys recommend dosing ferts i.e. schedule and amounts. Where would you guys recommend buying CRS or is there anyone on here who breeds them?

I really would like this to be a kindof open discussion with a lot of ideas.

Thank you!!

Read more: Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
For shrimp, i would use Aquavitro Aquasolum Black Humate substrate, drops the ph down to a good level for them, and is great for growing plants. Carib Sea EcoComplete is another solid substrate for plants. For ferts, i dose seachem Flourish, and Flourish Excel, once or twice a week, and iron once a week.

As far as where to get them, i got both my red and orange cherry shrimp for two different breeders on AquaBid.com. You can see my tanks thread here. Hope this helps

·
Registered
727 Posts
you may run into trouble trying to get the baby tears to grow with shrimp since they'll probably pick at it and up root it a lot when its starting to grow out. anyways the plants you're thinking of adding are very low maintenance and don't require a lot of ferts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts