The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've been a reader here for many years, and have established several very nice cichlid tanks. Here is my first attempt at a planted tank, and I cannot do it without you guys/gals. Thanks in advance!

My Tank Stats:
10 Gallon
Flourite Substrate
20-30 Gallon HOB Filter
20 Watt Current HO Lights
5 Neon Tetras

To Come:
New lighting 40 Watt 12,000K
DIY CO2

I'll soon be ordering some Dwarf Baby Tears, or Hair Grass. I'd like this to be medium to heavy planted. Please offer any suggestions on what I have so Far.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Looks good! And +1 on more plants, maybe a few more stems as well? I'd be curious to see what the wood looks like flipped on its back nestled up - over to the right side with the Sword. Don't forget ferts! Looks like your officially on your way! Keep us updated :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good! And +1 on more plants, maybe a few more stems as well? I'd be curious to see what the wood looks like flipped on its back nestled up - over to the right side with the Sword. Don't forget ferts! Looks like your officially on your way! Keep us updated :)
Thank you!
I'm not familiar with ferts, could you tell me one you've had success with?

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Sorry - I should have said fertilizers...

this is a great thread on understanding them. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fertilizers-water-parameters/21944-_dosing-regimes_.html

when I 1st started getting into planted tanks, I went with the full line of Flourish Sea Chem. It worked very well for me but then I started up a few more tanks and it got a little expensive and I switch over to the dry form. For the plants you have and the size of the tank you could go either way and the start cost will be about the same give or take a few dollars: the Flourish line will last for many months, the dry form will last you for years! So long term the dry form is cheaper.

I'm a dork when it came to switching to dry because it seems sooo complicated, but once I dove in, its actually very simple. You may have a better comprehension of it then I did :)

Also, you might find the lighting at 40w to be on the higher side. I have 48w HO over a 20g tall with co2 and I actually added a screen over it to cut the lighting down a bit as algae started creeping in, even with co2 and daily fert dosing. (Window/door screen cut to fit over splash guard) Is the 40w NO (normal output) or HO (High output) that you are getting?

Duff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry - I should have said fertilizers...

this is a great thread on understanding them. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fertilizers-water-parameters/21944-_dosing-regimes_.html

when I 1st started getting into planted tanks, I went with the full line of Flourish Sea Chem. It worked very well for me but then I started up a few more tanks and it got a little expensive and I switch over to the dry form. For the plants you have and the size of the tank you could go either way and the start cost will be about the same give or take a few dollars: the Flourish line will last for many months, the dry form will last you for years! So long term the dry form is cheaper.

I'm a dork when it came to switching to dry because it seems sooo complicated, but once I dove in, its actually very simple. You may have a better comprehension of it then I did :)

Also, you might find the lighting at 40w to be on the higher side. I have 48w HO over a 20g tall with co2 and I actually added a screen over it to cut the lighting down a bit as algae started creeping in, even with co2 and daily fert dosing. (Window/door screen cut to fit over splash guard) Is the 40w NO (normal output) or HO (High output) that you are getting?

Duff

The lights that I've ordered are HO. The bulb size is pretty rare, 16 inches, and the only ones I could find in town that matched were two 10 watt bulbs, soft white. You traditional kitchen light sytle. Is 2 wpg enough, and less than 4000 kelvins?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I'd slope the substrate a bit so the back is higher.
Dwarf Baby Tears tends to be straggly without CO2 Injection and very slow growing.
Something like E. Tennelus and Blyxa would look nice in the mid/background.
Don't go overboard on light or you'll have algae like crazy.
Keep your photoperiod around 8 hours.
Think about plants like Crypts and Mosses as they are pretty easy to grow.

40 watts of light is ALOT for a 10 gallon unless its power compact, and then its still alot, just not in caps anymore. =]

Don't bother with DIY co2, the fluctuations of co2 delivery are worse than letting your plants just get used to a low co2 environment.

Instead get some dry fertilizers to dose every week or two. Greenleafaquariums.com has them

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Wow you are going to have a lot of light. You will need to inject Co2 or dose with Seachem excel. Cheapest at LNT.com.

The amazon on the left will out grow the tank. I would get some water sprite, moss, and ferns. These are the easy ones to start with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.