The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, how are you doing? I'm looking for some advice on what tank/light combo to buy. My focus will be on growing easy and medium-difficulty plants such as 'Ludwigia palustris', 'Monte Carlo', 'Myriophyllum matogrossense', 'Cabomba aquatica' etc. I'll have a DIY CO2 system and maybe dose some liquid CO2 as well. The substrate is from a good quality (Eco-complete). Currently, I have two options:

Option 1: 60lx30wx33h (roughly 60 liters / 15.5 gallon) and 24W/1700 lumens LED lights. The tank is made from low iron glass.

Option 2: 70lx30wx30h (roughly 63 liters / 16.5 gallon) and 48W/3510 lumens LED lights. The tank is made from regular glass.

Both options are similarly priced. The difference on lighting is roughly 2x higher in option 2, but I'm worried that it'll be overkill for the plants I'll try to grow. Also, option 1 has better quality glass (does it really matter for a beginner on planted tanks though?). Also, should I take the 3 cm of height difference into consideration?

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Easier to replace lights than a tank..)
Do you "need" low iron glass.. no
Do you need reef type lighting (opt 2) ...no
Are all 4 sides low iron glass?
Just "heard" some only put it on the front panel.
Also it has a bigger impact on larger tanks and scratches a bit easier than reg. glass.
Tough call..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the output. The whole tank is made from extra clear glasscon option 1. What would be your choice out of the two, personally? Do you think the lighting in option 1 is not high enough?.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I prefer option 2. I'd rather have regular glass and a brighter light.
But if also prefer pressurized co2 instead of diy co2. I'd recommend option 2 either way though. Can always dim a light, can't make it brighter

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
I prefer option 2. I'd rather have regular glass and a brighter light.
But if also prefer pressurized co2 instead of diy co2. I'd recommend option 2 either way though. Can always dim a light, can't make it brighter

Yea.. like I said sort of a tough call.. Tanks basically 24x12x 12..

Planning moderate CO2 at best probably (CO2 w/ lower light is arguably better than low CO2 and high light)
The "dim" light will prob push like 30 PAR, the bright 70 plus PAR..
I'd normally agree w/ you AND see about adding a PWM dimmer to the bright light but in this case..not so sure..

30" Fspec is about the small light equiv and the 30" pent like the high light equiv.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news, guys. I’ve found a solution! I’ll be buying the low iron glass tank and a 36W/2550 lumens light setup. That’s the better option, isn’t it?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Whatever light you choose the best option available is one where you can dim the light for most of the day and have brighter light for a few hours. This will help prevent algae and give some of the more demanding plants what they need.

If that isn't possible then you can just dim the light all day, but might eliminate more options in terms of plants you can grow.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good news, guys. I’ve found a solution! I’ll be buying the low iron glass tank and a 36W/2550 lumens light setup. That’s the better option, isn’t it?
That's the best plan of the 3 for sure. And even if the light isn't dimmable and you HAVE to dim it, you can buy really cheap gel photo lenses, they aren't actually gel but you can get packs for like 25 cents on the forbidden e bah site, slide em under the light and be good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts