The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, but have been reading lots useful info here for a week now. I had a planted tank a few years ago, but had to tear it down. Well... I got the bug again. So I'm looking for a tank, but not sure what size? My previous tank was an odd size, something like 37 gallons? And very tall for a planted tank IMO. I have an eheim 2224 filter, Icecap 430 ballast, and all the equipment for co2 injection.

What tank size would you guys recommend for me? I like the look of rimless tanks and I've been looking at:
40 gal. long 36x18x12 tall
50 gal. Tall 36 x 18 x 16 Tall

Also any comments on types of bulbs? I used VHO on the past, but have been noticing lots of talk of T5 bulbs.

Thanks for looking, Mike

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'd go w/ 50 gallon (coz it's bigger, & bit taller) & for lighting 3 ft T5 HO. how many lights depending on CO2 or none... g'luck. :)

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
36x18x12 is actually what's known as a 30 gallon breeder, and 36x18x16 is a 40 breeder, it's one of the more common tank sizes in the hobby. A true 40 Long is actually 48x12x16.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd go with the rimless 50gal, since both the tanks you posted are 18" deep, which gives a nice amount of floorspace when it comes to aquascaping. With the 50gal, you'll still have close to 40gal to play with when it comes to stocking ever after you have substrate and hardscape in place.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I second the 50g!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I ordered the 50 gallon. Now to figure out the lighting... Unfortunately the Icecap 430 can only run two T5 bulbs. I don't think that would be enough light. Does anyone still use VHO bulbs?

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
VHO is reefer territory iirc, T5HO is more common for planted tanks. 2x39watts of T5-HO is plenty over a 40 breeder (45 gallons.) for even high light set ups.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.