The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do a full rescape of my 50 gallon, including mostly new substrate. However the tank is fully stocked. Can I remove about 75%of the substrate and replace it, or will this be problematic as far as bacteria goes? Also I'd prefer to empty most the water during the process to make things easier, maybe save some of the aquarium water in buckets while I'm working then partially refill with that water? I have a well established sunsun filter, will the bacteria survive in stagnant water the whole time I'm working? Thanks, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If you get the filter back up and running in a day you should be fine I would think. I wouldn't mess with only doing a partial change. Just get everything out of the tank and get to work. Your tank, water, and filter should provide you with enough bacteria. I would dose microbacter a week before and a couple of weeks after this project to help out your colony though. Keep as much of the water as you can, especially the stuff you vacuum out of your rocks as you are draining the tank. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts