The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys..
I have made a driftwood which resembles a tree.. I want to attach riccia on the top .. Like 'pinheiro manso' the aquascape..
Any suggestions for my driftwood?

My driftwood :

Pinheiro manso :

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
You could tie it on with cotton or possibly even glue it on. I personally have used the cotton method before and it worked quite well. Very messy stuff though when trimming up and attaching. Patience is key.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it a diy driftwood?? if so, which tree??
Redant,
Yes its diy.. These are 2 woods attached together.. One on the left and one on the right..
I seriously don't know which trees.. I had been to a sanctuary last year from where I picked up the tree on the left.. And the tree on the right is actually a dead stem of a shrub.. If u observe near the bottom its actually d root structure which is dried up but is hard and strong enough to not break

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could tie it on with cotton or possibly even glue it on. I personally have used the cotton method before and it worked quite well. Very messy stuff though when trimming up and attaching. Patience is key.
Hi joey..
Cotton scares me.. Lol..
It should be seamless.. No one should understand that riccia is tied onto cotton.. I was thinking of a hard plastic net I have, and sandwiching the riccia between this and the fishnet ..

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
you might be better off using fissidens. you can attach it with super glue.

riccia requires lots of maintenance. it looks great but eventually it'll start to float and you'll need to keep it tied down a lot. i've had success using those shower loofa's. but it'll be pretty difficult to keep the threads hidden. that's why i suggest fissidens.

fissidens
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=250513&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1388016787
+1, riccia is a PITA. Fissidens is easier to maintain, will actually attach itself to the wood, and will look much more like a real tree.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all..
I have too much of riccia at hand currently.. I also have a hard plastic mat but it is flexible.. So I am thinking of having the hard mat as the base and tying riccia on top using a fishnet.. So it forms a sandwich of hardmat-riccia-fishnet.. I can tie this to d branches of the tree using riccia line..
Its challenging but worth it.. If this doesn't work out I ll try out fissidens and other mosses..
I ve heard fissidens is a slow grower..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is it a diy driftwood?? if so, which tree??
Hi redant.. I dug out few pictures of when I prepared this driftwood..

The topmost piece of wood, I cut it..

If u observe closely these are 2 woods.. One that I have cut and the other is the stem-root assembly of a shrub.. It is held together by wooden chopsticks acting as screws..

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
thread net.

when I first set it up

about a month of growth

They come in different colors too. I've tried thread and just ended up picking riccia from all over my tank, this holds it in place and it grows!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had pretty good luck attaching riccia with just standard sewing thread. Have a few pieces of slate with riccia attached in our Biocube29 that's now been in there about three weeks and seems to be flourishing. This was our first attempt with the stuff and so far there hasn't been any big chunks floating off or anything… but again it's only been a few weeks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thread net.

when I first set it up

about a month of growth

They come in different colors too. I've tried thread and just ended up picking riccia from all over my tank, this holds it in place and it grows!

I use a fishnet too.. Holds pretty well.. But instead of stone I will use a hard mat at the bottom.. And tie the mat on the branches..

I liked your net idea on the branch..

·
Registered
248 Posts
warning riccia can be a pain to get rid of once you put into your tank. I'm still trying to clear my tanks of it. i think its gone than there its is again. i can tell you it seems to like growing on anything it can attach to. even foam filters

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't have much experience with the stuff but it seems like it's very difficult to get it to stick to anything. Generally the only issue is ending up with it floating on the surface.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guys an update!!!

I planted the riccia onto two plates I had..
Hopefully when the riccia grows it ll look good!! Hopefully I get my tree soon!!!

Any views?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.