The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of refinishing my furniture piece and cleaning the tank, but still putting together the list of everything I need. Wanted some opinions on my list and plans.

Going to go with a low light setup, as this is my first go at a planted tank. Want to avoid the Co2 until I become more familiar with the hobby before just jumping into it. I am more than happy waiting it out for the tank to grow.

Here is what I have on my list so far:

- Eheim 2217 Filter
- Powerhead 900
- Aqueon 200 Watt Heater
- Finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED Fixture

Fertilizer will be as follows:

- Seachem Equilibrium
- Potassium Nitrate
- Potassium Mono Phosphate

Dosage will be once a week.

I have the equipment down pretty well. My main concern is the fertilizer.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Sound's like a good start.Focus on plant's that don't need a lot of light and majority of them should be fast growing plant's which you can swap out later once you get a feel for growing them.(then try more demanding plant's)
Water sprite ,Vallisneria, Hygros , Anacharis, ludwigia repens, are some fairly fast grower's I have had success with.
Don't hurt to add slow grower's also like crypt's,anubia,but most should be fast grower's.
I have 3/4 of back glass covered with anubia in four foot long tank.
I'm sticking them to the glass with small dime size suction cups that I robbed off some spare thermometer's.
Trust me, was a long,long time for them to reproduce enough for me to cover the back glass from the five or six anubia I purchased some six year's ago.
Needed some fast grower's to hold my interest in the mean time.
Equilibrium will work for trace and sound's like you got macro's covered.
Start lighting period at eight hours a day for first few month's while tank/plant's mature, and don't try and incorporate too many bit's and bob's of differing method's till you get the low light or low energy method mastered.
Thing's will go much better for you.
Resist the urge to throw high mega watt's of light on the weed's in effort to increase growth .(unless you can raise /lower the fixture)
Thing's then start happening fairly quickly then in low tech/low energy tank's.
Most of em bad.
My two cent's.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Good advice from the previous poster. I like the idea of the anubius attached with suction cups to the back wall. I hadn't ever heard of that before. It is a great idea.
When I start a tank, I generally start with half the recommended dose of fertilizer, then see how things go for a couple of weeks, and if the plants are growing well, I gradually increase it.
I have had good success with the plants recommended by roadmaster, along with Rotala rotundifolia and various Echinodorus (sword plants). One nice smaller sword plant is 'Ozelot'. The red variety is quite lovely. I also like Hygrophila corymbosa Kompact. It has stayed quite short for me, and is nice in the mid-foreground.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sound's like a good start.Focus on plant's that don't need a lot of light and majority of them should be fast growing plant's which you can swap out later once you get a feel for growing them.(then try more demanding plant's)
Water sprite ,Vallisneria, Hygros , Anacharis, ludwigia repens, are some fairly fast grower's I have had success with.
Don't hurt to add slow grower's also like crypt's,anubia,but most should be fast grower's.
I have 3/4 of back glass covered with anubia in four foot long tank.
I'm sticking them to the glass with small dime size suction cups that I robbed off some spare thermometer's.
Trust me, was a long,long time for them to reproduce enough for me to cover the back glass from the five or six anubia I purchased some six year's ago.
Needed some fast grower's to hold my interest in the mean time.
Equilibrium will work for trace and sound's like you got macro's covered.
Start lighting period at eight hours a day for first few month's while tank/plant's mature, and don't try and incorporate too many bit's and bob's of differing method's till you get the low light or low energy method mastered.
Thing's will go much better for you.
Resist the urge to throw high mega watt's of light on the weed's in effort to increase growth .(unless you can raise /lower the fixture)
Thing's then start happening fairly quickly then in low tech/low energy tank's.
Most of em bad.
My two cent's.
Thank you very much!

From everything Ive read, the planted+ 24/7 doesn't put out a ton of light and people are sometimes needing two of them to get a high light output. If that's the case, I should be fine on the low end with just the one.

Your plant suggestions are great as well! Been gathering a lot of information on here. Can't wait to start this thing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.