The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was younger, I bred discus in my parents garage. I used three 50g tanks. They are 48x15x18 with 1/2" glass and rimless. I am thinking about using one for a planted tank, since no one seems to want to buy them. Also, my wife and I keep having unexpected bills so I have not been able to buy a tank. Free tank + endless wood from father-in-law + xp3 from old tank = cheap tank.

The main problem with these tanks is they are painted white on three sides and they have a fair amount of deposits and hard water stains. I never cared to clean them up since they were just for the garage. What would be the best way to clean them up? Also, they are drilled. There is a whole in the middle of each side. How could I fix this so it does not look terrible? Any suggestions would be great.

I am just playing with this idea by the way. If I cannot clean them well enough, I will not be using one of them. Also the wife might still say that it is too long for the space.

Picture of the setup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
CLR works like a champ. Just rinse it really well when you are done. Some say not to use chemicals on tanks, but if you are careful and have your wits about you its really not a problem. Or if you are worried, use vinegar with water. Also with the drillings, you could just attatch a bulkhead and use it for your xp3. It would take a little DIY work but it looks like you arent a stranger to it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The holes already have bulkhead fittings. As for the size, I am not sure. The question I have is what do I do with the intake/outtake since the holes are in the middle on the sides.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If I were in your shoes I would get some rubbing compound and a buffer. That will clean and polish the glass like new.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The holes, which seem to be in the bottoms of the tank, not the sides, would work great with a canister filter. Just install a standpipe in each one, with the inlet one having a strainer at about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, and the other having a LokLine fitting so you can direct the filter output in any direction you want, or tee it off and use two LokLine fittings to get flow going in two directions. That would essentially hide all of the filter plumbing. I would love to have such a setup for my tank. Priming the filter would always be extremely easy, and no piping would be high up in the tank where BBA love to grow.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice Hoppy. I can always paint the pipes black so they blend in with the background. What is a LokLine? Also, another thing that im concerned with is that both intake and return will be located on one side. I guess ill have to use a powerhead for the other side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts