The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to set up a 4 gallon tank using the now available led lamps with E27 sockets. So far I haven't managed to figure out what type of lamp to go for. There seem to be a lot of options out there like; 3x1w-12x1w or even 9x3w lights. I could also try to fit a couple of blue led's into those for better colour. My only concern is that I can't tell if a 12x1w setup is going to give too much light? Mind that I'm leaning towards a non-CO2 setup.

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
Hey Kalle,

Sounds like you are treading some uncharted waters, I am guessing there won't be much information available.

Besides overall brightness/wattage/PAR, consider the light distribution. Depending on the light angle (spot vs flood) you might end up with hot spots or even some alien effects. This can be a bit eased by raising up the fixture.

The E27 bulbs that I have seen were made to produce light all around them, with LEDs pointing to the sides as well as down. Those won't work too well.

If you found promising lamps, and can swallow the price tag, I'd say go for it, and share all the details. :smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about the PAR38 LED spots that are out now. Like this one:
Search for "12-led 12W" at dealextreme dot com
(Sorry too few posts - hence I can't post a proper link)

These light have lenses for each emitter that come in different angels. They might also be easy to modify by swapping a few white emitters for blue ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts