The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

Working on a desert themed tank with pagoda stone and wanting to include plants that fit with the theme to the max extent possible. I'm planning to use some Rotalla that's tan in color as well as some bucephela that's darker. Mostly want to avoid green.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not going to do CO2 due to complexity for work tank. Plan to fert and use a Finnex 24/7 CC programmable for lighting.

Bump:

Bump:

·
Registered
646 Posts
When I think of desert I think of sand, dust balls or cacti. This is likely why you haven't gotten many responses, there arent really that many plants in the desert, let alone ones that have an aquatic looking equivalent.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Ya I was going to suggest eriocaulon but without CO2 that’s out.

Crypt wendtii bronze or red

Proserpinaca Palustris

Ludwigia x Lacustris

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Cavan.
In japan they use genus paepalanthus as some eriocaulon. How come were not using that genus name

-dennis
There aren't any aquatic species from that genus that I'm aware of. It's a large one that includes high altitude species and others that have nothing to do with aquatic habitats. Are there any that are? Possible, I guess. But I think that it's either that or, more likely, somebody just grabbed a name out of a book at a quick glance and applied it to a plant that looked superficially similar.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Take a look at this page. There are a few desert looking aquascapes. If you open the first section (Mind Blowing Aquariums...) there's one with cacti.https://inhabitat.com/mind-blowing-aquariums-look-like-underwater-forests-deserts-and-gardens/long-tran-hoang-2012-iaplc/
Amazing! Thanks for sharing that link. Can anyone tell what plants they're using to simulate the saguaro & organ pipe cacti?

I've wondered if you could use small branched cholla with some small-leaved anubias on top to create Joshua Trees. Or maybe palm trees? Ocotillo with their red flower-tipped branches would be another nice creation, but not sure what you could use to get that effect

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I thought it might be closely trimmed moss. You might be able to do joshua trees with some wood (maybe cholla) and flame moss. You may find some more pics with a search. I know there was an AGA winner that was a desert scene that I saw when I was just starting into planted tanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts