The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came into the possession of snails who have bad calcium deficiency and where living in very dirty water.

I have them in a 2 gallon plastic tub that I had set up as a grow out tank for baby shrimp (currently shrimp free). It has a thin layer of substrate, some plants and a homemade sponge filter.

All of the snails have obvious signs of calcium deficiency, and I'm not sure if they are carrying any disease. They are all actively moving around and grazing, but I will keep a close eye on them. I put a bit of partially boiled cabbage leaf and a bit of broken off algae wafer for them to eat, and I will pick up a cuttlebone as soon as I can.

Will they be able to repair the damage to their shells? And what should I look out for if they have any kind of disease? How long should they be quarantined before I can add them to my community tank? Is there anything snail safe I can treat them with just to be sure? I don't want to give up on the little buggers, after surviving through that.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Snails generally do not carry diseases that fish can get. 2 weeks should be enough. I never quarantine snails though. The damage will not repair itself from my experience but you can prevent further damage by adding oyster shell tablets, liquid calcium, egg shells and cuddlebone. I personally prefer the oyster shell tablets. The snails are usually all over a tablet the moment I toss one in the tank. They actually eat it. More effective than the other additives.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a shame they can't repair the damage. They're ramshorns, they already have delicate shells. I couldn't find any oyster shell tabs but I did get a cuttlebone. All of the snails are still eating and active, so I'm hopeful. Can't wait to see some eggs :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts